TWO STEPS FORWARD

I heard three footfalls of my boots against the marble floors before a hurried flurry sounding behind me. He grabbed onto my arm just above the elbow and spun me to face him.

"So that's it. You pass out on the Institute steps nearly dead, expect to be treated. I had even carried you into the Infirmary myself and treated you myself. All for you to tell me absolutely nothing about yourself, or show at least the littlest gratitude," the black haired boy ranted.

"I have shown you gratitude, that's what the thank you was for. As for you personally treating me, I'm sorry I don't have any gold stars for you. And like I said who I am, and what I'm doing here is none of your concern. However, if I was asked nicely I could divulge some details," I fumed stepping closer towards him. He then held my arm tighter and stepped closer to me.

"There is no need to ask anything nicely, as this is my home that you are in. Having an unknown Shadowhunter is my business for my family's well-being," he steamed stepping even closer to me now coming face to face. Although he was a good foot taller than me and I had to look up to meet his deep blue eyes, I wasn't intimidated. I was a Shadowhunter just like him and I would not back down. Stepping even closer to him so now we were nearly inches apart, I nearly spat out, "I am no threat to your family's well-being. Why would I ever harm fellow Shadowhunters?"

"How am I supposed to know if you're dangerous or not? I know nothing about you. And since you won't tell me, I will assume the worst," he spat back at me.

"Here's something about me, I am not a threat to my own people. And for you to believe I would is just insulting, and quite stupid from someone who supposedly tended to me when I was in need," I returned.

"I did tend to you, without a single thank you," he jeered knowing I was about to get super angry. This handsome yet irritating boy really knew how to push my buttons but believe me I would push back.

"My thank you wasn't enough to please you? What more do you want? Bow before your superiority?" I asked furiously.

"I know one thing is for sure. I can't stand you," he fumed out, feeling his hot breath on my face as the words were spoken.

"Finally! We can agree on something. I most definitely cannot stand you either."

We were in such a heated argument that our breathing became heavy as we glared at one another. We were standing so close that in his eyes I could see my very own face. My usual smooth, fair skin was slightly flushed by the anger this boy bought out. My perfectly manicured eyebrows rose irking him to retort. My long lashes were hooding my usually prominent green eyes as I squinted with distaste. My full lips were turned down into a frown, all making me feel quite satisfied that my outside was matching my insides. Finally fed up with this boy and this whole situation I took a step to bypass him, but he pulled my arm back to keep me right in front of him, inches away.

"Where do you think you're go—" he started.

"Ah-hem." The boy was interrupted mid-sentence by a sudden sound.

I turned my head towards the sound seeing two figures standing there looking quite amused, clearly witnessing most of our fight. The one was a boy about the same age as me, muscular build like the one before me. But unlike him, his hair was golden like sun rays and his eyes though blue were lighter than the deep ones I was looking into moments before. Next to the golden boy was a girl who also was the same age as him. In all ways but few was this the female version of the boy before me. Where his was short, she had long luscious black locks trailing down her waist. The only attribute that differed were her eyes, which were a deep, rich brown.

Both still looking at the pair of us amused, the golden goy asked with a smirk, "Are we interrupting something?"

As the boy released my arm, we both stepped back realizing how close we really were while both answering at the same time, "No!"