Chapter 38

It was a wonderful Saturday, the spring birds chirping and flowers blossoming. The tang of the freshness of the grass filled everyone's noses as soon as they step foot out of the castle. The duo were resting against their favourite tree, facing the Black Lake. They had decided to leave their friend group and go for a stroll near Black Lake. Then, they ended up underneath the shade of the tree.

Remus was too engrossed in his book and Jasmine was spending her time staring at him. His sandy brown bangs hung over his face, covering his hazel orbs. Two buttons at the collar of his shirt was popped open and a permanent grin was stitched onto his face.

He shut the book and turned in time to catch Jasmine staring. He smirked as her face flushed crimson. She looked away, as if it could hide her blushing face. "It's rude to stare." Remus drawled. "How would you know that I was staring if you weren't staring too?" Jasmine retorted, good humoured. "Ah, touché."

Jasmine sat with her body facing inwards now, grinning slightly as she let her eyes roam the clearing. Less and less students came to visit the Black Lake now that the weather is turning hotter. The sparkling ripples across the surface of the lake caught her attention as she admired the shimmering and blueness of the waters.

Her sapphire blue orbs flickered everywhere, finally landing on Remus' lips before flashing up into his amber eyes.

Remus returned her gaze with fondness, passion and love. A warm breeze whistled past as the trees swayed slightly. Leaves picked up from the trees and ground were carried a few centimetres before landing again. He kept his eyes on hers, unwavering.

Slowly, Remus leaned in, gently pressing his lips to hers. It's not like it's their first kiss, but this kiss was different from the past few weeks. It wasn't quick or desperate. It was slow, soft, reassuring, allowing them to savour every moment of the kiss.

Jasmine wraps her arms around his neck and waist, pulling him closer to her, longing for the familiar comfort. They break apart. He brushes his lips against her cheek and jawline before pulling farther away.

Remus leaned back casually and gave her a cocky grin. Jasmine registered what had happened, a small smile played on her lips. "You little cheek." She accused, laughing.

Who would've thought that Remus Lupin would take advantage of their moment alone?

Wait- he's still a marauder.

He let out a low chuckle and pulled her onto his lap, resulting in her giving a surprised yelp before curling up and snuggling into his warm embrace.

• • •

The hearth crackled beside them, James was playing against Lily in a round of chest. Peter was observing Lily's moves, Sirius was playing with Hazel's hair whilst she drummed her fingers on her knee. Jasmine sat atop her boyfriend's knee, just relaxing, glad that her N.E.W.T.s were over.

When Lily finally declared triumph over the game, a beautiful snow white owl swooped in and perched on the table. A note was tied to his feet and James tried his best to stop looking nerves. Jasmine glanced swiftly at the jewellery sitting on Hazel's finger and looked back to Lily.

Lily's grin widened as she stretched out to pet the owl. It dropped something shiny onto her open palm in return. A circular object topped with an emerald stone that deeply resembled her eyes. Her eyes watered slightly, her lips parted. She looked at James who was now messing up his hair. Finally, she blurted, "Are you serious?"

"No. But..." He replied immediately, his eyes flickering to Sirius. Lily looked too before understood what he just did and rolled her eyes. He got up, and stood in front of Lily, clasping her hands in his. "The first time I laid my eyes on you, I vowed that I will marry you one day, Lily. Every year, I tried to ask you out, you turned me down flat. I wouldn't blame you. When you finally agreed, two years back, I was delighted. Now, with this ring, I'm going to make you mine." James kneeled in front of Lily, as Jasmine squeezed Remus' hand. "Lily, will you marry me?"

Lily looked at him, her lips parted but no sound came out. Her emerald eyes were clouded with tears that she contained. Finally, in a trembling whisper did she say, "Yes."

A slow grin widened on James' face. She allowed him to slip the ring onto her finger and helped her up. They shared a beautiful, long kiss and when they broke apart, Jasmine squealed.

"Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. Oh gods, YES!! I ship!" She squealed. She got up from her seat and bounced over to Lily and gave her a hug. "I'm so proud of you, Lils!!" Lily blushed. "It'll be your turn soon." She grinned before giving Remus a pointed glare who took an sudden interest in the floor.

"It's ok. He'll propose soon, Lils, don't worry." Jasmine laughed but Hazel couldn't help but detect the hint of worry and sadness in her voice. Out of the three couples, only Remus hadn't proposed yet, and Hazel would be lying to say that Jasmine wasn't worried. She often heard her bed creak as she lay awake in her bed, suggesting that she was nervous about this as N.E.W.T.s were over.

Hazel scowled and jabbed Remus hard in the side before pushing herself off Sirius to congratulate Lily. Remus sighed as he thought about this again. It's not that he had never thought of proposing, but it's just, he doesn't know how.

Sirius clapped James on the back as Peter moved away to sit beside Remus. "You know, you could propose the way you asked her to be your girlfriend." He told him, as if reading his mind. "You mean, be alone?" Remus asked, snapping from his train of thoughts to look at his friend. Peter nodded once, then added, "I'll make sure to hide Prongs' cloak." He grinned.

Remus couldn't help the smile that broke across his face. "Thanks Wormtail. You're the best."

"Oh, no. Leave that honour to Jasmine." He smirked. Remus mirrored his smirk before turning to congratulate James on his successful proposal.