Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Catherine was silent throughout the drive around her hometown, mumbling here and there about some places that had changed and some that hadn't a bit. Her mind was running a million miles a second, she was still trying to fathom how Beau was so calm and understanding through the whole thing. They started passing the small park she used to call her second home finally she'd cleared her throat and asked him to stop there. Beau obliged and parked the car, he was trying to be as patient as he could with her, so proud of her for opening up to him as she was, he knew it wasn't easy for her and he would be as encouraging as he could. They got out of the car and walked to the benches by the play area, Catherine ran her fingers over the old dirty wood before walking away and toward the play area, graffiti littered what was once a beautiful yellow slide and she stuck her head up into it looking at the top her initials still there in a black sharpie.

"What are you doing?" She pulled her head out and smiled at him.

"Just looking for something that's no longer there." She pulled on his hand and walked around the whole play area before sighing.

"The nights my mom wouldn't let me in the trailer I slept in that slide." She reminisced the cold nights spent alone in the yellow tunnel.

"Some nights I wished I'd just freeze to death, other nights I wished a serial murderer would find me and put me out of my misery." She looked up at her husband and this time she swore she saw a single tear slide down his cheek.

"I'm sorry you had to go through all that, you didn't deserve any of it." He reached out for her, embracing her in his arms. Tears spilled from her face as she remembered how many times she'd wished she was dead.

"Shh, don't cry. You're safe now." He assured her, petting her hair with one hand and holding her as close as he could with the other. A loud clap of thunder made them pull away from each other as rain began to pour.

"We should go." They ran back to the car hand in hand, Beau had opened Catherine's door for her before rushing to the drivers side and starting the car. They were both drenched and freezing as they drove back to the hotel. They arrived back to the hotel about an hour later, still wet and freezing, the rain hadn't let up much. They reached their room which seemed to be even colder making them shiver in their wet clothes. Beau grabbed the remote to turn on the fireplace but ended up turning on the radio, a Nora Jones song came through the speakers and he dulled the volume a bit before reaching for the next remote, the fireplace came to life and he turned the heat up to get some warmth circulating in the room. Catherine stood watching and shivering, before walking toward him and encircling her arms around his waste. Beau turned around so they would be embracing each other and kissed the top of her head.

"How are you?" He asked pulling away and looking into her eyes.

"I'm good, how are you?" She giggled.

"Cold." He grumbled as he began to unbutton his shirt. Catherine placed her hands on top of his stopping him from what he was doing.

"Let me." She took over the button he was undoing and made her way down until his cold wet chest was completely exposed. She pushed the shirt off his shoulders and onto the floor.

"Dance with me." It wasn't a question but a command, which normally he would scold her for but this time he let it go and did as he was told, swaying back and forth with his sweet wife. Life couldn't be better for either of them, Catherine finally felt like she could let herself be completely open with Beau, she was no longer scared. She had shown him everything there was to know and he was still there, giving her the same longing look he had when they met. She knew he wasn't going anywhere now and she could finally stop closing herself off from him completely. She leaned her head on his shoulder and allowed silent tears to fall from her face, she still couldn't understand how she had come from this place and these terrible things and end up where she was at that moment; in the arms of the most perfect man in the world.

"Beau?" She sniffled and he pulled away looking into her watery eyes.

"What's wrong?" He asked as he wiped a stray tear.

I want you to know..." She gulped, she was about to say it; the one thing she had been battling for over a week now.

"I lo-" She choked on her sobs, saying it clearly wasn't as easy as thinking it.

"Don't say it, if you're not ready I understand." He assured her, but she was ready. She felt ready, she wanted to shout it from the roof top, to anyone that would listen but saying it to his face had proven to be the hardest.

"I love you." It was a whisper. Hardly audible and if he wasn't listening for it he may have never heard it, but he did and she said it. That was all that mattered to him.

"I love you too."

"I know." She smiled. 

I know this is short, i'm sorry. I suck I know. Please vote and comment and send messages its what keeps me going with this story. - kimberleexx