Chapter 37

Question: What is your most favorite trait about yourself?

Also, just wanted to tell you that you are all so beautiful. I don't care if this is cliche and you don't believe me, but I don't need to know what you look like to know that you are beautiful. I don't know, I'm just one of those people who really don't give a shit what you are on the outside. I just don't. Call me weird, whatever. But if you are struggling right now, know that you can do it. And it might seem so so so hard, but I have faith in you. I really do. Love you all ❤️

-

The next day, Zulema was approved to leave the hospital. When the doctors told her that this occurrence did not mean she was infertile, they said it as if it was good news. As if saying, "you lost this kid, but it's okay you can always have another one." She never responded to the doctors after that. She let Harry tell them everything.

He did that a lot. Talk. He wouldn't stop talking. It was a certain reaction she'd never seen him have before. Constantly, he was asking the doctors questions and Zulema for reassurance and asking his mom if she picked up his homework from school. Zulema didn't understand why he was acting so... eager.

She had a lot of time to observe everyone's reactions. Lydia who was trying to hide the fact that she was shocked her son had gotten someone pregnant, while also feeling sorry. Mark who had no idea what to say. And the doctors who pretended to feel sorry for her even though they'd been through this many times.

And when they got to Harry's house, she didn't speak a word to anyone. When she would get asked questions, she would either nod or shake her head. It was as if she was so in shock that she couldn't even comprehend what she was being asked.

As Zulema laid on Harry's bed, she looked down at her stomach. It was never protruding or anything and the doctors told her she was 7 weeks along, but the thought that something was in there and now it's not, is really weird for her to fathom.

She began to wonder if this was a good thing. Perhaps, she didn't have to feel the guilt of having an abortion that she had already planned to have. She shouldn't have been grieving over something she clearly had no intention of keeping.

But, why did she cry so much over it?

A tear escaped from her eye and she wiped it quickly as she heard the door opening. She turned to face the wall immediately as Harry stepped in.

His footsteps neared the bed and it dipped when he sat on it, a class of water along with her medicine. He thought about how to approach her. Maybe she was sleeping. He didn't think she was. She was sad.

Somehow he felt this was all his fault. Though he had no way of stopping it, he still felt the blame. He didn't know how react. Nothing like this had ever happened before. He'd never experienced this thing before clearly.

Zulema lost her parents. She has more experience with loss than he did. He hadn't even lost a grandparent. He's never had a pet before either- well he'd had a goldfish when he was five but it wasn't exactly anything sentimental to him.

He sighed, fingers shaking, "um... I have your medicine if you want to take it. Well- not if you want to. Because you have to. The doctor said so..." he trailed off and scrunched his face while shaking his head. Idiot.

He set the cup on the night stand beside his bed and the medicine as well.

Zulema has her eyes opened but they were heavy. Her mind wasn't racing like it usually did. Instead, it was blank.

"Zulema?" She heard a voice ask. She snapped out of her blank trance. She looked up at harry who was looking back at her as if he was trying to tell her everything was going to be okay. It wasn't, though.  At least not for now.