Chapter 30

It was finally winter break. Which meant that the semester was over at last. Zulema almost couldn't wait to go back to school simply because second semester meant that school was almost over.

"Hey," Zulema smiled when she got to Harry's locker. He was in the midst of putting away several textbooks. Instead of saying hey back, he sighed a nodded.

"What's wrong?" She asked. Was he mad at her again?

"My dad won't talk to me," he rolled his eyes.

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah. I refused to go the the league practice. I honestly don't care anymore," he shrugged.

"Well... good for you, you shouldn't dread having to be forced to do something," she told him.

"Exactly," he breathed and closed his locker, "I thought you worked today?" He remembered the fact that she left school early on Wednesday's.

"Um.... no not anymore. I quit," she muttered quietly beside him as they walked.

"You what?" He stopped in his tracks.

"Yeah. You were right- he shouldn't have used me like that," Zulema told him and he had a blank look on his face.

"Are you mad at me or something?" She asked.

"No, of course not. I just- I feel bad I guess. You always talked about needing to keep your job," he replied vaguely and began to walk.

He truly never wanted to guilt her into quitting her job. He was aware that he didn't understand fully what it was like to need one, but he now understood how important it was to her. He just hoped he didn't make her feel even more shitty about herself than he did that night.

"Yeah, I know. I kind of miss not having to work. I will just try my best to find another one," she said enthusiastically as she followed him. She knew it was going to be hard. Employment was almost always hard especially for someone looking for a flexible schedule. She'd try though. Zulema also hadn't told her uncle she quit yet. She'd probably lie and say that she got laid off because he'd beat her to a pulp if she'd told him that she just quit.

"Let me help you then," he offered.

Zulema shook her head, "its fine I can do it on my own."

"Too late, I already offered," he chuckled and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. Zulema only smiled and reached up to kiss his cheek.

As they walked out of the building, Zulema spotted Benny sitting on one of the steps with a girl.

"Benny, hi!" She smiled.

Harry awkwardly stood there, not saying anything as he looked around. He couldn't talk to Benny, not now anyway. Nothing was his fault, Harry knew that. He just didn't know how he was going to apologize for being a terrible friend.

"I see you two are back together," Benny laughed.

"Yeah," Zulema giggled sheepishly, tucking a few strands of hair behind her ear then looked up at Harry who was looking at the ground. Zulema furrowed her brows for a split second.

"That's great," Benny said sincerely. Maybe he wasn't so mad after all, Harry thought. Or maybe he was only being nice because Zulema was there.

"Thanks! Well... maybe we'll all hang out during break?" Zulema asked looking at Harry again then at Benny.

Benny looked uneasy, "yeah, maybe," the corners of his lips tugged slightly.