Chspter 28

As the car slowed to a complete stop in front of me I could feel the huge knot in my throat grow tighter and tighter and it was getting even more difficult to breathe. The only thing on my mind was that this woman Lorraine Elizabeth Jenson was going to be what little black I had on me off. Or in my case she would beat me whiter than Kennedy. Let's face it. My mom was never one to raise a hand to me because I never really gave her much reason to. Most of the time it would only be threats but nothing would come from them. Just a simple light smile or a giggle with a shaking of her head as she would shoo me away to my room or out into the backyard to play. Today however was definitely going to one for the history books if she did decided to pull a switch off the nearby tree and skin me alive for the whole world to see. The care door opened and she stepped out flinging her purse over her shoulder flashing me a smile. My heart was beating so fast I thought that it was going to give out for a moment but surprisingly I'm still alive. For now.

"Regan! What are you doing up so early? And why in God's name are you standing outside in this messy weather in your house clothes?!?!"

My mom HATES the word pajamas. Why me and Daddy could never guess.

"Hey Ma! You're late! What happened? Nothing.....bad.....I hope." I replied with a hard swallow.

"What's with you honey? Are you sick?" She asked placing a hand on my forehead after rushing towards me with the back of her hand landing on my face.

Thank god she's just checking my temperature. I thought she was about to slap the flames of hell from my soul.

"No! No.....just.....a little.....worried.....that's all." I muttered.

"Well no need for the alarm sweet heart. I had to do a little bit of paperwork before I had to leave when before I knew it I was up to my neck in charts." She said letting out a sigh.

Suddenly I could feel the knot in my throat began to loosen its grip on my larynx and let me talk normally and not like a guilty criminal trying to prove they're innocent.

"Oh. Well......you should have at least called home mom." I complained.

"Well I didn't think I'd have to Regan Michelle. Last I checked I'm the mama and I pay the bills." She hissed brushing passed me to go inside.

That's when it hit me.....Prince could still be in the house. As soon as she went to pull on the screen door I let out a loud panic filled scream.

"MAMA YOU CANT GO INSIDE YET!"

"For gods sakes girl why not?!?!? I've had a really long night and an even longer morning! Now I'm going on inside my house so I can go to sleep!" She snapped.

My mom was never the type of person who could remain calm when they were exhausted but I had to think of something to give Prince some time to get out of the house if he was even still inside.

"Because......I threw a party after the formal last night and didn't have time to clean up the mess. It's.....really.....REALLY.....bad in there."

The look of horror grew on her face the more I lied. I think she bought it!

"Regan? If you were brave enough to throw a party in my house you'd be just as brave to tell Skipper you like him." She snuffed.

Wait. What just happened? Did my own mother just try to Jedi mind trick me?!?! HOLD ON! Does everybody really know that I like Prince?!?!? I mean is it really THAT obvious?!?!?

"Am what are you saying?!??" I asked nervously.

"I'm saying I know my child and MY child knows better than to throw a party in my house. So what's really the problem?" She asked.

Well I guess I better fess up before things get really bad.

"Ok......" I said with a deep exhale.

I could feel my mom burning a hole in my face as I looked at her in fear of what was to come next. If you guessed that ass whoopin' you guessed correct!

"Well! I ain't got all day now girl!" She yelled at me angrily.

"See....the truth is.....last night.....I......I....."

The truth was about to roll right out of my mouth when out of nowhere was a deep loud

"Hey Mouse!"

I quickly turned around to find Prince Andre and Dez standing at the end of the driveway.

"Hi boys! What are y'all doing out here so early?" My mom asked with a big smile.

Thank.....GOODNESS! These three guys just saved me from my own demise.

"Good morning Mrs. J! How are you doing this morning?" Andre shouted.

"I'd be a lot better if my daughter here would let me go inside and get some rest before I have to get back to work tonight." My mom said with a deep scowl.

I flashed her a nervous grin and could still hear the sound of my heart in my ears.

"Don't worry Mrs. Lorraine we'll take Regan off your hands for you. We were actually about to head down to the diner for breakfast before rehearsal. Can she tag along?" Prince asked with that smug smile of his.

This asshole knew what he was doing all along. I'm glad he did because if not me and him would be buried side by side at the cemetery downtown.

"Please do! Go get dressed and go with the boys. You've worried me enough for one day." Mom said as she swung the screen door open and dragged her tired body inside.

After watching her leave us I looked back at Prince and the guys to find them giggling like a bunch of three year olds.

"What are you jokers laughing at?" I grumbled.

"Just go get dressed and meet us at Morris' place." Dez replied.

"Ewwww why over there?!??" I shrieked.

"Girl will you stop asking so many question and get hip with it?!?!? I wanna eat!" Andre snapped.

I flipped him off and went inside to get washed up and dressed. That sneaky rat left before the sun came up! As I wiped the hot wash cloth down my face and looked in the mirror I smiled and thought of all the other times Prince had just.....left and made sure he didn't get me in trouble.

"Thanks Skipper." I said to myself as I shook my head with that same smile still on my face.