Chapter 23

The ride to the fall formal was awkwardly silent. Gazing out the window my eyes shined in the reflection as we went under the glow the street lights. At that moment I felt a pair of eyes watching me from the other side. I could feel my nerves getting the best of me.

  "I'm sure it's nothing." I told myself silently.

However it was definitely something. Something that I've never felt before. It was a feeling of being noticed on purpose. I slowly turn my head to find Peter staring at me. His big greenish eyes reflected myself looking back at him and his smile was from ear to ear.

  "You alright there Pete?" I asked him nervously.

He didn't say anything. He just sat there smiling. It was weird but different. Peter's mom was our ride to the dance and she would occasionally glance up at us from the rear view mirror. I can tell that she was a little concerned for me as I tried to get Peter's attention so she would loudly clear her throat and snap him back to life.

  "Peter? It's rude to stare sweetheart." She said to him with a grin while she drove.

  "I'm sorry! It's just......" Peter stated then soon stopped as he looked at me again.

  "Just what??? Is it my makeup? If it looks bad I can take it off when we get to the school! I told Rachel it was too much. Or maybe it's the hair. Does my hair look like it's been sewn in or something???"

The rambling seemed to last forever until he stopped me.

  "Regan Regan! Relax! It's not any of that you look beautiful! That's why I'm staring at you! I've never seen you so.....grown up before. I like it."

My heart. It just stopped. I think I died and saw angels. I could feel my heart pounding and my hands getting clammy. I think my mouth was open so long that I drooled on my dress a little. If I did Peter probably would have recanted his statement in a heartbeat and jumped out of the car.

  "Regan darling? Do I need to check your vitals? You look a little pale. I don't think Lorraine would be too enthused to hear that her only girl fainted before the dance and didn't get a single picture." Peter's mom said with a slight giggle in her voice.

I snapped out of my trance and blinked a few times to force away a testy blur that I found myself in.

  "No! No ma'am. I'm fine. Just a little stunned to hear a guy tell me that I'm.....beautiful." I said staring back at Peter with a smile on my face.

We stared at each other for the remainder of the ride not knowing that we had already made it to the school. Kids were lined up at the door and scattered along the campus grounds snapping pictures of each other in groups when the car came to a stop.

  "Are you ready?" Peter asked me.

  "As ready as I'll ever be!" I replied back with that same big smile stuck to my face like honey.

Peter opened the door and he stepped out. Reaching his hand down into the car I grabbed on and he helped me out onto the curb.

  "You kids have fun! I'll be back at midnight!" We heard his mom say before he closed the door.

Peter stuck out his arm and without question I linked around him and he walked me inside. Suddenly people were looking at us. I couldn't tell if they were stunned or disgusted but they were certainly looking. The looks were quickly followed by whispers. I felt like we were being judged for being together. Pulling myself closer to Peter as we made it to the front door he leaned in a whispered in my ear.

  "They're all just admiring how beautiful you are. Either that or they're jealous." He said.

I looked up at him as he grabbed the door handle letting my other arm go and taking my hand. Peter pulled the door open and bowed down to me.

  "After you my lady!" He said.

I stepped inside the school to the sound of loud music playing from the gym just across from the entrance. Looking to the left I saw the floral arch with a waterfall backdrop for pictures and the photographer patiently waiting to take pictures of incoming kids and their dates.

  "Oh hey! Let's get our picture taken together before there's a crowd!" Peter said excited.

I silently agreed and followed him to the arch.

  "My first couple of the night! Step over by the arch pretty lady! Young man you stand behind her and put your arms around her waist. Get in close now." The photographer instructed.

Peter timidly moved in closer to me and I can tell he was a little nervous about the pose we were in.

  "I don't bite Pete. It's ok." I said to him trying to convince him to relax.

  "I've never been this close on a girl before." He said shyly.

  "If you don't wanna-"

  "I do. I want to. Now stop being so worried about me and smile."

I shook my head happily a faced the photographer.

  "You two would make a groovy couple. Watch the birdie. Say cheese!" The man said.

Peter and I gave it best smiles as the flash went off. We held the pose for a few more pictures then we were dismissed as a small line started to form.

  "You'll have your photos by the end of the night. You two have a good time."

  "Thank you!" We said.

Peter grabbed my hand and we went inside the gym to find it decorated with our school colors with balloons and streamers that danced in the warm air. The black hawk that was trimmed in a gold lining could be seen on the far wall from where we stood. At that same wall was Prince and the guys spectating and scoping out the girls in tight dresses. I pretended that I didn't see any of them and we walked further into the crowded gym.

  "You want anything?" Peter said loudly over the music.

  "Just some juice would be nice." I shouted back.

Peter nodded and went over to the table that had two bowls of red punch and assorted snacks while I danced and shimmied my way through the room to find a seat and wait for him to come back. Never once did I look in Prince's direction and I was glad that I didn't. As long as he didn't know that I was here I don't have to worry about making a scene in front of the whole school. Then I got that feeling of eyes watching me again. Something in me said to look over to the far wall. I did. Andre and the guys were there. Prince was not. The feeling of being watching loomed over me and I didn't know why. I could see Peter filling up a plate with cookies so he wasn't looking at me. What is wrong here? Before I could shake off the feeling I happen to look straight ahead at the DJ table and there he was with his eyes locked on me and a shocked look on his face. So much for hiding from him. What a night this is gonna be.