Chapter 11

The was a brief moment of anxiety that rushed through my body and I was almost tempted to just run back stage and give the boys the message and pass it along to Prince but on the other hand I shouldn't get involved. This had been long overdue and getting in the middle of it now wouldn't be the smart thing to do. The waitress came over with her tray and asked if I wanted anything. I just asked for a glass of water with a light ice and she pleasantly scurried away with a smile to the band playing on stage. The music was ok but the band looked....crazy. They looked like they were covered in gallons of glitter and finger paint. Who's idea was it do let their kids use them as art projects?!?!?! I shook my head and giggled at the band as they finished and went off stage. The lights went dark and and faded back in slowly to reveal a now empty stage. I sat at the table and nursed my soda when the waitress came to me again with a refill.

  "You look like you're waiting for someone darlin'." She said as she sat the drink down in front of me with a new straw.

  "Not really. My friends are performing in a few minutes and I'm a little anxious to see them."

  "Oh! That's groovy! Which group?"

Shit! Just that fast I forgot the name of the band and had to think of something. Right when I was about to make up an outlandish name the lights on the stage went dark again and the announcer came over the microphone.

"Ladies and gentlemen please welcome our next local act. Grand Central."

Saved by the announcer. I pointed over to the stage in excitement.

"That's them! Those are my friends!" I said to the waitress.

The lights came up and prince was standing center stage in an all denim getup with his guitar strapped around him. I heard the waitress make a sound from her chest as her eyes were drawn to the stage.

"Who's the caramel cutie with the hazel windows?" She asked with a giggle.

I looked up at her and quickly turned my head back to the stage. When I got sight of Prince again he was looking out into the crowd with a smile on his face until he caught sight of his father.

"His name is Prince. He used to live next door to me." I said in a low tone.

"He's quite the looker!" She said as she strolled away from my table.

My heart sank as I saw the color of his face drain in front of a room full of people. I knew at that moment that the fear made his blood run cold. None of us were expecting for Mr. John to come to the show. How did he even know about it?

"Come on idiot do something." I whispered to myself hoping that he would snap out of it.

As if he had heard me from the front of the club he unglued his focus from his dad and scanned the room to find me at my table alone staring back at him. A smile began to grow slightly as he leaned into the microphone.

"Sorry about that. I almost forgot where I was for a minute. We're Grand Central."

He counted out loud and they began to play. Thank goodness he was able to find me. I still feel like I hate him but at the same time he still needs me. Our eyes would occasionally meet when he would play through their set and his confidence would gradually grow more and more. By the time they were done he was a sweaty mess. A happy yet sweaty 18 year old with a big smile on his face. The song ended and they ran off stage as the light went out. The audience cheered them off begging for an encore performance. I was glad that they had pulled it off and Prince wasn't so hard on himself like the last time. I figured I'd let them celebrate and decided to stay at my table and finish my soda. The next band was getting ready to go on stage when from distance I could see a person walking towards the exit. I mentally followed the person until they came into perfect view. When they did something told me to get up and stop him from leaving.

"Oh no. No no no no no no!" I said as my instincts took over and I nearly leaped over the table just to get to the exit.

I never knew that I could move that fast until that night. I was in a full sprint by the time I got down to the lower level. It was just a few more feet and I would be able to touch him.

"MR. JOHN! WAIT UP!" I shouted trying to get his attention.

He stopped and turned to face me and I had succeeded in stopping him from leaving.

"Hey there little lady! What are you doing here in a place like this?" He asked me in a parental tone.

"Same as you! I came to see Prince's band play! Did he invite you?" I asked him trying to catch my breath.

Mr. John looked stunned. Something told me that there was more to him being here than I had realized. He scratched his head a little and squinted.

"Not really. Tricy's father works here. He told me that he saw the name on the list and I figured that I'd come by and see my son who.... has seemed to forgotten about me."

"He hasn't forgotten about you. He talks about you all the time. What's really going on with you guy?"

Mr. John sighed and before he could speak I could hear the guys coming from back stage. Andre and his loud ass mouth is always giving them away more than Jerome. Sad part about all of this is Jerome wasn't allowed to come because he got busted trying to sneak a girl into his bedroom.

"Yo! Mouse! Did you see? We had the crowd rocking baby!" Andre exclaimed as he went and hugged me.

"I know you guys did great but you guys we should go outside." I trying to divert their attention to the door and the man standing in front of it.

"Why? We were thinking about doing a second show!" Morris said as he and Dez high fived each other.

"Oh you might wanna wait for that!" I replied nodding my head in Mr. John's direction.

Andre was always the one who had to have something smart to say.

"Girl what the hell's wrong with yo neck?" He shouted at me.

"Watch ya mouth Anderson." Mr. John hissed at Andre getting his attention finally.

The guys were as white as ghosts.

"Oh shit." I heard Dez slip out when he saw Prince's dad standing in front of us.

"Hey Mr. Nelson. Whatcha doin here?" Morris asked him as he looked over from behind Andre.

"Where's my boy?"

"Backstage getting changed sir. He shouldn't be much longer." Dez answered.

"Who y'all talkin to I'm right here!" We heard Prince say from behind us.

Oh hell. I don't think I know how to breathe anymore. This is going to turn a good night into a bad situation. As we parted like the Dead Sea revealing Prince to his father we were all waiting for the other shoe to drop.

"Pop." Prince said softly as his eyes were correct the first time when he was on stage.

"Skipper." His dad replied.

As I looked at the two of them I grabbed Dez by the collar and pulled his ear close to my lips.

"If I were you I'd get your stupid friends and hit the bricks now.

"Good idea Mouse." He replied.

Dez tapped Andre on his shoulder and signaled him to head for the door and surprisingly enough he agreed. He then gave one look to Morris and he also followed suit. I went at the back of Morris following him out. Before leaving the building I looked back at Prince who was giving me a look that I've never seen before. His face was saying he was fine but his eyes were screaming for help. However this had to be done. It was time for these two to find some type of medium.