I can't seem to tear my eyes away, overwhelmed by its stunning beauty. An urge takes over – An inescapable urge to hold that knife in my hands, to feel its decorated handle in my palm, to glide the crisp edge across the throat of–

My own thoughts snap me back to reality, as I halt my homicidal train of murderous thought. I look back at Dark interrogatively, finding that he, too, had been gazing at me with curiosity while I had been stuck in my trance. I give a slight grimace, knowing that he had heard me. He gives a small laugh and I look away with embarrassment.

"What am I doing here?" I ask, still avoiding his gaze.

"You're here to do what I explained before: I need to test you."

"In what way?"

"That man," he continues, ignoring my question, "is perfectly average, and perfectly real. When he opens his eyes and sees you, he will suddenly be aware that you are trying to kill him. Obviously, he will defend himself. I want you to kill him."

"And why, dear Dark, would I do that?" I ask. "He's literally trying to defend himself from whom he thinks is a threat. He's just an average guy. Besides, I don't have a weapon."

"I know you are perfectly capable of getting that dagger from him." I swallow hard, trying not to look back at the object. "I had a feeling that it would intrigue you."

While speaking, Dark slowly makes his way behind me, placing his hands on my shoulders. His head lowers so that he speaks directly into my ears.

"I saw you looking at it," he whispers in a low tone, "and I know you want to hold it. Don't you want to grip that perfectly carved obsidian handle? Don't you want to feel the power of wielding it against another? This is your chance, [Y/N]."

A series of shivers race up and down my spine, and goosebumps appear. Some of the reaction is from the cold breath on my neck and curling into my ear, some is from the mere thought of handling such a magnificent blade. Without my consent, my eyes wander to the dagger in the man's hand again, feeling unbelievable rage at the thought of someone else using it. My mouth unintentionally forms into what is almost a snarl, and my fists clench lightly. Jaw tightening, I'm ready to kill for the dagger.

Dark laughs behind me and moves back, seeing that his pep talk had worked. I don't care if he got what he wanted. I want the dagger.

With a snap of the demon's fingers, the man's eyes likewise snap open. The moment his eyes lock onto mine, his grip on the dagger tightens and he takes a step back. What Dark said is true – the man thinks I want to kill him. Honestly, killing him doesn't sound too bad, right about now.

I lighten my expression, looking at him with a mixture of confusion, worry, and a hint of fear. I step toward him and give a nervous wave. Raising the pitch of my voice, I begin to speak:

"Hi! This might be an odd question but, um, could you please tell me where I am?" I laugh nervously. The man seems perplexed with my actions, scanning me with analytical eyes. He remains silent, so I speak again and take another step forward: "Sir? Can you hear me? Please tell me where I–"

"Take another step forward and I'll gut you like a fish, I swear to god!" he shouts, taking a step forward and holding the dagger in plain sight. My eyes widen as if I'm seeing the weapon for the first time, and I take a step back. I glance from his enraged face to the blade in a panicked state, breathing speed increasing.

"S-Sir? What are y-you doing? I just wanted to know where I am so I can get home." I raise my hands, showing that I mean him no harm.

He eyes me suspiciously, then reluctantly lowers his hand. "My apologies. I was informed that whoever was in this room would attack me."