Chapter 59: Dughall's Deepest Desire

Chapter 59: Dughall’s Deepest Desire

 I don’t think Dughall could have looked more surprised. His dark hair and heavy eyebrows rested over a gaunt face that looked like it had been chiseled out of stone. His eyes landed first on me. His look of surprise quickly gave way to a look of pure rage. I think he would have leapt upon me and killed me on the spot if his mother hadn’t spoken.

“Is this my son?” she asked incredulously.

Dughall’s eyes immediately shifted to the woman standing across from me. At over six feet tall, his frame towered over her mere five-foot body. Her jet-black hair was matted to her face by sweat and she looked care worn. But beneath the wear was a woman of incomparable beauty in any time.

“Mother, oh dearest mother,” Dughall said at last. He had a softness in his voice that seemed impossible from such a hard and brooding face. He went to her and knelt down. Dughall rested his head against her stomach and embraced her. I watched as she gently caressed his hair.

“My son, look how you have grown. I do not understand what magick brings you or this angel who has slain my attacker to me, but of both, I am most glad,” she said.

It was at that moment that Dughall looked down beside him and finally saw the dead body of the man that had been his mother’s night ‘companion’. Instead of being pleased that I had taken the jerk out for him, Dughall looked on me with fury.

“How dare you come here and defile my childhood home? You witch!”

“Dughall, mind your tongue,” his mother said. “This angel of the future came just in time. That man was set on doing me great harm. I do not think I would be alive if she had not come when she did.”

“I know he was going to do you harm, dearest mother. That is why I came back to this time. I came to stop the brute from slaying you mother.

“Oh mother, you have no idea what I have been through. You do not know of my suffering, my death, the countless years of horrific ennui as I waited. I had to bide my time. All that I have done I did so that I could come back to this time and prevent this jackal from taking your life. But this Brighid’s whelp witch from the future has ruined it all. She has ruined my moment, mother!”

“Dughall my sweet, nothing is ruined. Be glad for the help dear son. I am well and unharmed. You can go peacefully back to your time knowing that I am safe.”

“Back to my time? Mother, I have no time. Do you not see? I belong here. I always have. You are a part of me, Mother, and I a part of you. And I have waited, mother, oh so long I have waited.”

I could swear I saw tears come to his eyes. Is it possible that Dughall has feelings? Is it possible that he could be human again?

“Dearest one, do not fret. You can stay. We will figure it out. Do not worry any more dear son.” Dughall’s mother continued to stroke his hair.

“Yes, mother, and together we will rule this land. Oh, I have dreamed it and planned it for so long and now, all the forces are aligned. Now is the time mother. You will be a slave no more. You will be a queen.”

“With the help of the angel, our slavery will end today to be sure. But a queen? Why I have no such sights.”

“This child save you? But mother, I will free you. And together we will rule, I promise you that. I will make those who have held us suffer as we have suffered. Revenge will be ours!”