Chapter 52: Dughall at the LHC

“Sir, I think there’s a bit of any error in your instructions for the experiment.”

“There are no errors,” Dughall coolly replied.

“But Sir, if we enter the codes you wrote, it will pulse the particle streams at a very high frequency.”

“Yes.”

“But Sir, we don’t know what will happen to the machinery at such a high frequency pulse.”

“I do.”

The young man stood with his mouth hanging slightly open. Was his boss a mad man? Or was he as in command as he seemed?

“Are you going to input the program or shall I find someone more capable?” Dughall asked.

“I ... I can do it. I will do it. It’s just ... well I have to tell you my concern here. No one has tested this. We don’t know what will happen down there.”

“Mr. ... what’s your name?”

“Schaeffer, Sir. Ted Schaeffer.”

“Mr. Ted Schaeffer, I am well aware of the capabilities of this machine. I would not order this program if I was not sure of the outcome. Now, you have exactly one minute to get to your station and click at the keys or I will find someone to replace Mr. Ted Schaeffer.”

Ted Schaeffer practically ran from the room. He was uneasy going about the day’s work, but he was even more uneasy staying in the room with his project supervisor. He knew it was crazy, but he had a strange feeling that his boss wouldn’t just fire him from the project, but meant to harm him if he didn’t comply.

Once Ted Schaeffer had left the room, Macha said, “Dughall, you’re enjoying every minute of this, aren’t you?”

“Why, whatever do you mean dear little Macha?” Dughall batted his eyes coyly at her.

“You know what I mean. Toying with the humans.”

“Toying with Mr. Ted Schaeffer? Why ever would you say that?” Dughall had a hint of a smirky smile on his face. When Dughall smiled he looked like a cross between a snake and hyena.

“You enjoy sitting back, like the cat with a mouse, stringing them along, luring them step by step to your trap.”

“Ah, I am not setting a trap for them, Macha. They are of no consequence to me one way or the other. But if they get caught in a trap, well so be it.”

Dughall sat back and monitored the progress of Mr. Ted Schaeffer. He had never seen a human move his fingers so fast on the keys of a computer machine. The man typed as if his life depended on it. Dughall smiled to himself at this thought because, of course, Mr. Ted Schaeffer’s life did depend on it.