26: Ready, Set, Go

26: Ready, Set, Go

Prom was ten days away. I had Mase talk to the guy running the slideshow at the dance. After some convincing and a little cash, he agreed to mix in the pictures of Tracy’s dad along with the shots of the juniors/seniors attending the dance.

Even though this was our plan all along, I couldn’t help but to feel a little uneasy about the whole thing. It was a topic that Scarlett, Mase and I rarely discussed.

We were sitting in my bedroom after school one day though, when the conversation came up.

“So, you talked to Josh then? He’s got everything he needs?” Scarlett asked.

“Yeah. He was hesitant at first, but I paid him a twenty to keep quiet and add the pictures. But he was more on board when he heard why I wanted him to do it,” he said.

Scarlett nods her head and clasps her hands together. We remain quiet for one moment. And then another.

“Are we doing the right thing with this?” I ask, breaking the silence. I bite the inside of my lip and watch as Mase’s eyebrows furrow.

Scarlett lets out a sigh. “Yeah, of course we are. You saw how Josh was hesitant until he heard her name. Anyone would take down Tracy Hamilton if they could. We just happen to be the only ones that can.”

I clear my throat. “Yeah, I guess you’re right.”

“Well, anyway, I should be going. I want to stop by Adam's before going home for dinner. You two love birds stick to the plan. No making out at school,” Scarlett said, winking at us.

I feel the heat of a blush coloring my cheeks. Scarlett chuckles while making her way out of my room. And when I look over at Mase, he's smiling, not the least bit embarrassed by her words.

"What are you smiling about?" I ask, raising my eyebrows at him.

"Nothing much. Just thinking about you," he said, walking over to where I'm sitting. He scoots in really close, his face inches from my cheek, his breath tickling my ear.

I drop my gaze. "Yeah? What about me?" I ask. I can hear my pulse in my ears as I squeeze my hands together. Every inch of my body reacts when Mase Dean is near.

He pulls my hands apart from their tight grip, holding them in his own hands.

"I'm thinking about you and me making out at school," he said, laughing before pressing his lips to my cheek.

I laugh, too. "Well don't think about it too much because it won't be happening," I said. "Scarlett will freak if you ruin her master plan. And you know what Tracy will do if that happens."

And just like that, I'm reminded again of my reality. Whether or not Tracy tells the whole school about what happened, it won't change anything. My mom is still gone and I still don't know quite how to handle it. But it would only make things worse to be exposed in front of the everyone. I don't know myself how or why my mom got to that point and decided to turn off the switch. All I know is that I can't answer their questions when I'm still struggling to answer my own.

"What if Tracy still tells everyone once she finds out we were behind those pictures in the slideshow?" he asked, pushing all jokes to the side for a moment.

I shrug. "I doubt anyone will focus on me when something huge like that is revealed about the most popular girl in school."

He nods his head, his eyes serious for just a moment before they light up again.

"Look, I know we're supposed to stay away, but I personally don't think I can go an entire school day without at least a hug from you," he said, his hands leaving mine and finding their way around my waist. "Will you come meet me from time to time? Just when I'm really missing you?"

I smile. "Fine, we can meet up. But don't tell Scar. And be very careful," I said.

He sits up straight, touching two fingers to his temple, saluting me. "Yes, ma'am," he said.

I laugh, forgetting my worries for a moment. I love how Mase can make me do that. I lean into him then, and his one hand stays at my waist. We're quiet while he holds me, lost in our own thoughts. And when Mase breaks the silence, I'm surprised at what he says.

"You still interested in playing the guitar? It's been a while since I last taught you, so I wasn't sure," he said. There's that familiar uneasy look in his eyes. I can't tell if he's hoping I'll say yes or no.

"I'd still like to learn, only if you're still interested in teaching me," I said. My words bring a small smile to his lips, and I know that even though it's tough for him, he wants to work towards playing again himself.

"We've got a good half hour before dinner. I can give you a quick overview of what you learned last time," he said.

"I'd like that. And hey, I'm glad you're not giving up on the idea of playing again," I said.

"After that first lesson we had, I've been wanting to play but I feel too guilty to actually do it. And when I think of helping you learn, I don't feel as bad. I figured I'd start with you and work on myself along the way too," he said with a shrug.

I rarely see Mase Dean so unsure of himself. But these situations, and life in general, don't come with instructions. We have to take it one day, and step at a time. So far, I think he's doing a much better job than I am. So I reach over and take his hand, giving it a squeeze.

"That's a great idea," I said with a smile.

I stand and pull him up along with me. I lead the way to his room, my hand still pressed firmly against his. We get situated on his bed like last time. He tunes the guitar and I hold the pick between my thumb and finger, not upside down this time. He notices and smiles, thinking of our first lesson I'm sure.

"All right, let's get started," he said, scooting the guitar from his own lap onto mine.

"Are you ready?" I asked, searching his eyes for any unwanted feelings.

Then he leans over, his hand cupping my face as he places his lips against mine. My world spins for those few seconds his lips move with mine while the rest of my body freezes. The warm blush heats up my skin while a cold shiver is sent through my limbs. He makes me forget and then remember again, and I'm nothing while he is everything. I feel crazy when he's near. As he pulls back, just enough so our lips part but our foreheads stay pressed against each other's, our noses touching, I realize I feel more crazy when he's afar.

"Now I'm ready," he whispers, his breath against my lips.

"Me, too," I whisper back. And I am ready. Ready for this lesson, and ready for whatever else life is planning to throw my way. Because for the first time in forever, I have a friend and I have happiness and something hopeful and beautiful that's worth living for. I have him.

author's note: hiiii guys. yes, i'm still alive. and yes, i know most of you probably hate me for not posting this past year :( things are still busy with my husband and in laws and just life in general but i'm making more time for lyla and mase and you guys. :) forgive me pleaseeee and enjoy the new chapter. will do my best to update again in the next few days! votes and comments appreciated <3 -shahira