33: Different Outcome

Mase and I went to the perfect candle-lit dinner. We held hands across the table and fed each other dessert. It was when we were on the way to prom after dinner that he surprised me with something else. He reached into his pocket and slid out a black velvet box, holding it out to me.

"Here," he said. "This is for you."

"Mase, you really didn't have to. This is already all too much," I said. I wasn't use to being taken care of. I was always the one taking care of others, especially my mother. But now, having Mase, my worries somehow faded. He was helping me relax, and breathe. And live.

"Just open it," he said. And so I did.

Hanging off of a delicate silver chain was a perfect little pendant in the shape of a musical note. I ran my fingers across the smooth metal.

"It's beautiful," I said, looking up to meet his gaze. He took the necklace from its box and placed it against my skin. I held the pendant in my hand, knowing it would stay there forever. Knowing what this tiny symbol meant to him, to both of us.

"Thank you," I whispered, bringing my lips to his. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me onto his lap where I sat the rest of the ride to the school. His lips stayed moving against mine, his hands on my waist, and my fingers in his hair. I forgot everything in those moments. All I knew was Mase. His lips, his hands, his breath.

When the car came to a stop, we were brought back to reality. I quickly slid off his lap just as the chauffeur opened the car door.

"Welcome to your prom," he said, holding out a hand towards me. I took it, stepping out of the car. I smoothed my dress over, taking a deep breath. I watched as Mase got out of the limo as well, running a hand through his perfectly messy hair and fixing his tux. I blushed while he smiled, taking my hand in his.

"You ready?" he asked. I nodded, the excitement rushing through my veins. Nothing could take this feeling away.

• • •

We danced. Our cores thumped loudly with the bass of the music. We laughed, as the lights flashed, and the different colors filled the room, running across the walls and the floors. I'd never danced much before, but Mase's hands stayed on my hips, helping me stay with the beat. I danced with Scarlett too, our hands pressed together as we got lost in the upbeat music. And when the DJ slowed the music down, the energy in the room fell. Mase found my hand, twirled me around once before pulling me up against his body. I stayed swaying slowly with the song that made me feel things I'd never had before. The DJ announced that the slideshow would be starting soon, but we couldn't be bothered to watch it. I concentrated on the high that clouded my mind with nothing but Mase. I caught Scarlett's eye, as she danced with her date. She smiled and winked before turning back to him. And I felt grateful, for not only having Mase but for having Scarlett, too. She was the first and only friend I'd had in a long, long time.

I laid my head on Mase's shoulder, breathing in the musky scent of his cologne. I got lost in the moment, the lyrics ringing more and more true as the song went on. I got so lost that I didn't realize that everyone around me had stopped dancing. I heard whispers travel through the crowd when I turned around and finally saw what they were talking about. Familiar pictures of Tracy's father with his much too young mistress filled the screen. I felt Mase tense up behind me, and my body froze, too.

My eyes instantly scanned the room and stopped on Tracy, half way across the dance floor. She stood frozen, her eyes locked on the images filling up the screen. One hand was pressed against her mouth while the other tightly gripped a cup half filled with bright red punch. I saw anger flash across her face, and then she turned to leave. Her eyes locked on mine for a moment, but the anger faded from her face as a certain sadness took its place. She rushed off, pushing through the crowd and wiping away at the tears that began to run down her cheeks.

"Guys, I thought the plan was off," Scarlett said, rushing over to where Mase and I stood.

"I thought so, too," I said, looking up at Mase.

"Shit," he said, running a hand through his hair. "I talked to Josh. He said he'd erase the pictures. I don't know what happened."

The crowd of students erupted into loud conversation once Tracy was gone. They discussed the pictures that were about to ruin someone's life, someone's family. And I couldn't believe we were behind it all. I couldn't get the look in Tracy's eyes out of my mind. She wasn't shocked or surprised about what was in those pictures. She just looked sad. It was almost as if she already knew the truth about her father. And we made sure everyone else knew it as well.

Mase went to find Josh to ask him what happened while Scarlett and I went out into the hallway of the school.

"I can't believe this," I said, crossing my arms over my chest and leaning up against the wall.

"Well this is what we wanted, isn't it?" Scarlett asked, joining me.

I shook my head. "It's what we thought we wanted. But we did try to stop it from happening," I said, an attempt to make myself feel better for what had just happened.

Just then, Mase came through the doors. "So I talked to Josh," he said, his hands shoved into his pockets. "Turns out there were plenty of people, apart from us, that wanted to get Tracy back for something she'd done to them. Josh included. He added the pictures on purpose."

Neither of us were surprised, with the way Tracy treated people at school. But still, we wished we weren't the ones behind this whole thing. So to make things right, I pulled out my phone to find Tracy's number. But before I could, I read a text message I'd received from Ruth. And all that happened at prom, before and after, was forgotten. My phone slipped from my hands, and I watched it break into pieces. Tiny shards of glass flew across the hall. And those tiny shards of glass were my life, shattering. Again.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: Thank you to those still reading. It's been a crazy few months. My husband and I found out we are expecting! Working on finishing this story before the little one arrives though. And as always, I appreciate your patience to those sticking around. It means the world to me. <3