4• Unraveling Our Demons

(A/n: warning ⚠️!!! This is the kinda bad chapter. I don't maim my characters because they're my babies. So it won't be that bad, but it could be traumatic to some readers. Just a heads up.

Fun fact!! The immortal warriors are based of Nordic mythology. Nords believed that if one died in battle they'd go to Valhalla to await the battle of the gods: their version of Armageddon. But that's the extent of it in this book.)

🦋

•A•
Kota stared at the closed door in pure panic. For two centuries he'd waited for this day. His human life had been brutal, as had his brothers. Those mortal years had been a constant uphill battle filled with abuse, hunger, and rebellion. It all ended in sacrifice.

At 21 years of age, Kota had thrown himself in front of a gun pointed right at a child and died.

That was a typical ending for guardians. They all died young. Either by saving another or by excruciating struggle in the name of a pure cause. The oldest looking guardians like Dr. Roberts had been rarities. But immortality is kind to those deserving. Dr. Roberts may of been 65 when he died of the black plague - determined to help the sick even though they'd been left to die - but he looked no older than forty.

All that pain and struggle that guardians struggled through, and all the battles they'd fought in their immortality had one spark of hope, a light at the end of the tunnel.

Their soulmate. Their little lullaby.

That was the reason they kept going, even though at times things seemed pointless and bleak. It was all worth it so long as they had their soul waiting for them somewhere.

Kota's eyes squeezed shut as anger overtook his mind.
1. 2. 3. 4.
She was theirs! Theirs alone! That witch would not harm her again!
5. 6. 7. 8. 9.
They needed to regroup and bring her back. Whether Lullaby was ready or not, she was coming with them. She was deteriorating fast. They didn't have time to ease her into this.
10. 11. 12. 13. 14.
This shouldn't of even been a problem!!!
15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20.
She should of been found as a child. She should have been raised by them where they could bring her up in their world, where they could coddle her until she didn't know what to do with herself.

North cursed up a storm beside him and went to bust down the door. Kota snapped out of his red haze and grabbed North's arm," Rally the others. We're going in within the hour and shutting this down entirely. That woman will never see the light of day again."

North nodded, eyes black as night, promising pain to the witch.
Both eyed the grey house with a final glare of promise before turning away.

🦋

•A•

Sean glared out the window of Nathan's living room, watching the sun set over the woods.

Five hours. Five god damn hours!

This was ridiculous!

Their darling mate was in the wicked grasps of that vile woman. It didn't take a brain surgeon to put the pieces of her story together.

She was terribly malnourished, her body anorexic. She had numerous signs of starvation and the only reason the deadlier ones hadn't surfaced were because of her heritage. He doubted she'd survived this long otherwise.