This was not a good idea, she thought to herself. The best thing was to get the unsub off-balance, get more information. Not to trick him.

But she was young and inexperienced in the eyes of her superiors. Too quick to reach for a gun, too impulsive. She doesn't know everything.

Gideon pressed the button and Caroline took a deep breath, softening her voice to sound more neutral and quiet.

"This is Cheryl," she said carefully. She heard the unsub sigh, almost exasperated, but no response. She tried again, "Hello? This is Cheryl."

"I have Patricia by my side. I know her voice, therefore I know her sister's," the unsub chided Caroline. "Get off the phone. I want Cheryl. I'll give you 60 seconds—if you don't put her on the phone, I will hang up and you will never hear from me or Patricia again."

Gideon hit the mute button and moved out of his chair, motioning for Caroline to sit.

"Prep her," he instructed the young agent as Gideon gestured for Cheryl to move across the room to replace her father's seat at the phone.

The blonde girl moved swiftly, tucking her hair behind her ears nervously as the unsub began to count down, "50 seconds."

"This guy is arrogant," Caroline told her calmly but clearly, keeping her mind focused. She had less than a minute to teach Cheryl Davenport how to speak to a sociopath and every second counted. "Let him know that he's in control. Let him guide the conversation."

"40."

"Use your sister's name. Say, 'My sister Trish' or 'Her name is Patricia,'" she said as Cheryl settled into the seat her father once resided in. Now, he stood behind his daughter, wringing his hands nervously as Cheryl listened to Caroline intently, nodding to everything she said.

"35 seconds."

Cheryl nodded as she continued, ignoring the unsub' clock, "Talk about her. Let him get to know her through you. Don't veer off topic."

"Got it," Cheryl murmured weakly, suddenly staring down at the phone like it was going to attack her.

"25 seconds."

"Also, agree with him. Tell him that you understand him, and as hard as this sounds, empathize."

"20 seconds."

"Let him know that he didn't mean to hurt Trish or go this far and that he can fix it. He has a chance to show that he's a kind and forgiving person by letting your sister go."

"10 seconds."

Cheryl's doe-eyes focused on her, wide and frightened. She could see the cracks coming through, the fear. Her sister's life was now riding on her back. She was alone and completely lost.

Caroline rested her hand over Cheryl's gently, giving her an assuring smile, "And if you don't know what to say, I'll tell you."

"3—"

Caroline glanced over at Cheryl as she reached over and her finger hovered over the unmute button. She swallowed.

"2—"

Cheryl turned to Caroline and nodded, taking a deep breath, trying to stay calm.

"1—"

Caroline hit the button and the room was suddenly deadly quiet except for the ticking of the clock on the the wall. Cheryl scooted closer towards the phone, her hands clasped tightly in her lap to keep from shaking.