Part 3: Chapter 9

Start from the beginning

"Hey Rosie," he said softly.

She looked up and smiled at him. "Hi Scorpius."

They stood their smiling at each other for a long moment. "Invite her in before she freezes to death," someone whispered in Scorpius' ear, causing him to jump.

"James what the hell!"

James laughed and pulled his cousin inside, closing the door behind her. "Sorry mate but any longer and her toes would have fallen off."

"I was quite alright but thank you James," Rose said indignantly. "Is Jennifer here? I wanted to talk to her."

James nodded and gestured toward the drawing room. Rose smiled and headed off in the direction James had indicated, leaving Scorpius and James alone in the entryway.

"Man you've got it bad!" James said, watching Scorpius stare after Rose.

"I do not!" Scorpius protested.

James gave him a pointed look and he conceded. "Okay maybe I do. But it's not like she feels the same way."

James frowned. "She's said this to you?"

"No, but why would she have to? A girl like that would never have feelings for someone like me."

James rolled his eyes. "Come on Scorp. Let's discuss this further in my room." He opened the hall closet, revealing Lily and Narcissa Jo. "Away from curious ears."

Scorpius glared at his giggling sister and her friend as he followed James up the stairs.

"Have you discussed this at all with Al?" James asked, taking a seat on his bed.

Scorpius shook his head. "He always seems a bit preoccupied as of late. At first I thought it had to do with the competition but we've been eliminated so I'm not sure what's on his mind."

James chuckled. "I have some theories about that but we'll save that for another time. Tell me everything."

Scorpius sighed. "There isn't much to tell. I really, really like her and she sees me as a friend."

"Maybe not," James replied with a shrug.

"What do you mean?"

"If she hasn't said that to you, maybe she doesn't see you as just a friend. You'll never know what she feels until you put yourself out there."

"But what if I put myself out there and she rejects me?"

"Then you move on. You get closure and don't continue to hold a candle for her. Happened to me in third year. Bruised my ego but ultimately paved the way for me to find Jennifer."

Scorpius pondered this for a moment.

"Don't overthink it. Just do it. And do it today before you lose the nerve."

"You're right. Thanks James; I appreciate it."

James gave him a mock salute. "Anytime!"

Just then, there was a small dinging sound coming from beside James' bed. "Uh oh," James said.

"What is it?" Scorpius asked, intrigued.

"It's Lily's mayhem meter. She installed one in all of our rooms so we can alert each other when there's trouble afoot. Or mum's searching for one of us. Come on!" He climbed off of his bed and they thundered down the stairs, almost running into Lily and Jennifer, who were standing at the foot of the stairs behind Ginny and Hermione.

It seemed everyone had come into the entryway to witness whatever was going on. James craned his neck for a better view of whoever was standing on the porch but his view was blocked by Harry.