Eldon took the cigarette out of his mouth."But you maintain that this was an act of arson?" 

"Yes, we've found the point of origin. It's pretty clear." The fire chief excused himself.

"I'll talk to your father." Eldon dropped a hand on Aaron's shoulder, and turned his attention to a man dressed in black leaving a black, unmarked car further down the road. "See that man?" He pointed with his cigarette. "He's from the ATF. He has some questions for you. I'll talk to you later." He patted Aaron and walked away before Aaron could question him.

The man in black strode over and flashed an identification badge at him. "Aaron Myers?" He had sweat beading at his temple.

"Yes?"

"ATF Special Agent Smith. I understand you're second-in-charge of this establishment. As this is an arson investigation, I have some questions for you. If you don't mind."

The man pulled out a notepad and pen and fired off questions. They were what Aaron expected, and he answered negatively about having enemies, gambling debts, outstanding loans, and dissatisfied customers.

"Disgruntled employees?"

"No. This is a family business."

"But you do have employees?"

"Well, yes, two. But—"

"Three," came Jason's voice from behind. He joined Aaron.

"Two or three?"

"It's two," Aaron said. "Mickmi's just helping out until we find a replacement."

"Three then. Names?"

"Ray Thompson, Danny McGahn, and Mickmi."

The man jotted the names down. "Last name?"

Aaron and Jason exchanged glances.

"We don't know," Aaron said.

"Ask Dad. Or ask Danny. He would know."

The man looked from one to the other with his penetrating gaze. "Have you had any problems with your employees—disagreements, altercations?"

Both brothers shook their heads.

"No," Aaron said.

"Perhaps harboring resentment?"

"Not a chance."

"How long have you had these employees?"

"Ray and Danny for several years now," Aaron said. "About five—"

"Six years," Jason said. "We were still in senior high when they started."

"So you know them well?"

"Yeah. I'd say so," Jason responded. "We graduated the same year."

"What about this"—the man looked at his notes—"Mick-mi?"

"She's been with us about two weeks," Aaron said.

"What do you know about her?"

"She's Danny's girlfriend."

"How long has she been his girlfriend?"

"A few weeks."

The man studied them. "What else do you know about her?"

"She's a sweet girl. That's what Mom would say."

"Yeah," Jason said.

"Where is she from?"

Aaron shook his head. "We don't know. Just that she's been staying at Danny's house."