4

Nova's P.O.V
***************

   Chapter Four: Back it up, back it up, back it up.

I watched the girl run around her room, pretending to fly a paper airplane, smiling. She hopped from her bed to the floor.

"Nova baby, it's time for bed." My mother patted my bed, calling me to come lay down. I didn't want to sleep. I continued watching her, a frown settled on my face. I heard my father shout for my mom in anger.

I glanced at my mom before looking back at the girl. She looks so happy... why can't mommy be happy like her?

"Mommy-"

"Tatum get down here now! Don't make me come up there!" dad shouted again, but louder.

"I'll be right back baby.. don't wait up for me." mom quickly gave me a kiss on the head. I sadly smiled at her.

"Okay mommy," and then, she left.

I heard her cry at night, but she didn't know. Sometimes... dad would get really angry and lock me in my room and yell at mom. I knew he would hit her.. because I would see the bruises on her face. My dad drank a lot, and always sat on the couch. He never bought anything for my mom on mothers day.. or even her birthday.

She worked two jobs, back to back, while my dad did nothing. I didn't like staying home with him, and that's why I never left my room. He wouldn't even let me go outside to play.

We were trapped.

Dad began to yell, louder and louder. I heard a thud and more yelling. The girl turned around, her eyes locked with mine. She gave me a big smile with a wave.

It isn't fair.

I glared at her, before I harshly closed the curtains. A tear escaped my eye as I slid down the wall. I sobbed quietly, trying to drown out the yelling.

"I'm sorry mommy,"

It isn't fair...

"Nova, it's time to wake up." Mom's voice cuts through the silence. I crack my eyes, squinting at the light.

"Okay," I hoarsely say, sitting up. She leaves, leaving the door open. I look at my window, the blue curtains covering it. I try rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, as my legs dangle over the bed.

I hate waking up so early. Why can't school start at like, ten or something.

I took a shower and got dressed. I pulled on some black jeans, a grey t-shirt and my black converse. I grabbed my bag, and headed back to my room, snacking on some disgusting trail mix. Why am I even eating this?

I get that mom wants me to stay healthy, but I'd rather eat a salad. And I hate salads.

I plop down on my bed, trying to kill time. My mind goes back to last night.

Frost looked terrified of that Adrian kid. I wonder how they know each other. Maybe they really are dating, and I just didn't know? No. I've known Frost for my whole life- well.. kind of. But I know she wouldn't date someone like that, let alone run from them.

I don't know why, but last night.. when I saw the way he looked at her, it made my blood boil.

If she felt uncomfortable or was being bothered by anyone... she would tell me.

Right?

I fall back onto my bed, groaning in confusion.

Why do I even care? The only reason why I'm hanging out with her is because I have to, not because I want to.