I

"Look at her."

"Oh my gosh. How do her parents even stand her? Like she's so ugly."

"I heard that she's an orphan."

These were the types of whispers that the dark skinned girl had to endure everyday. It also didn't help that the snobby girls liked to laugh at her situation. And her skin color.

It would have been better if she stayed at the orphanage and went to public school. No one would even bother her or even look her way. And that's the way she liked it.

But at this private school, the spotlight was always on her just because her foster parents were rich and she was the orphan they adopted. It wasn't as if they treated her any better than these teenagers did.

The ebony girl was pulled out of her thoughts when someone pushed her roughly to a locker. "Watch it freak." A male voice said, followed by some laughs.

This was the main reason she hated school. The children would not leave her alone, no matter how hard she tried to make herself scarce.

~

The second bell had rang, initiating the start of first period. The foster child had Maths the first period so she made her way there.

She sat down in her usual seat, the seat farthest in the corner on the left.

Everyone made their way inside, taking a seat next to a friend at a table, everyone except her. The dark girl sat alone.

"Listen up everyone. We have a student moving up from a lower Maths class into here. Please welcome Lauren Jauregui."

The chocolate girl didn't dare lift up her head from the desk. The act of making friends had been thrown out the window a long time ago.

"You can sit anywhere you like." She heard the teacher finish saying.

The next minute, the foster girl heard the sound of a chair moving beside her. It took her by surprise causing her head to move off of her desk to look at the person.

"Is it okay if I sit here?" The green eyed girl asked her.

Someone snickered and laughed in the background. "You don't wanna sit next to her babe. She literally doesn't speak to anyone. That girl is a freak." A jock spoke from the other side of the room. "You can always sit next to me."

The emerald eyed girl rolled her eyes at him and looked back at the girl who she wanted permission from.

The dark skinned girl swallowed harshly and nodded her head weakly. She laid her head back down when the teacher started calling the register.

"I'm Lauren. What's your name?" The girl asked her, lowering her head so only the dark girl can hear her.

"Normani." The foster child answered softly.

This caused the green eyed girl to chuckle lightly, "I couldn't hear that."

"My name is Normani." The ebony teenager replied back a hint louder.

"Normani Hamilton? Answer if present."

This time, a girl was the one to start making jokes. "More like Normonkey."

This caused the class to burst out in fits of laughter towards their classmates. All except for two were not laughing.

Lauren plastered a deep frown on her lips. A racist joke like that shouldn't be allowed inside this school. Neither the person who made that comment.

She looked at the teacher and she didn't seem to be affected by the comment. She just continued calling the names off of the register.

"This school is so fucked up towards Normani." The emerald eyed girl thought.

~

"How was your day Madam Hamilton?" Alfred, the Butler of the manor, asked the young girl as she walked inside of the house.

Normani sighed. "It will always be the same Alfred." The butler understood the young girl. Even though Normani was comfortable talking to him about something, it was just certain things she kept to herself. It also didn't help that he and his wife had to help her when her foster father would take his anger out on her.

The people he worked for were very abusive to the dark skinned girl, even the master's own children. They tore this girl down every chance they got. It still had Alfred worried for the girl at every moment of the day.

"I made you some food to eat as well."

Normani gave the butler a small smile, "Thanks Alfred. I'll just change my clothes and I'll be right back down."

~

The dinner table was too quiet. The only sounds you could hear was the teeth grinding against meat and metal beating against the fine China.

"I have an announcement to make." Mr. Jones spoke aloud.

Jim Jones.

A multimillionaire who is seen as an angel in the public's eye but is really a devil behind the scenes. Normani had the chance to witness this first hand the day he adopted her. He was all nice and fun in front of the cameras but when they got here, to this hell hole, he changed.

He abused her like she was the fifth of the earth. He also played her mental health constantly which, Alfred says, is worst than the physical abuse she gets.

His wife - Alana Jones, was always quiet. Normani felt sorry for her. The first time he physically abused her,  Alana had came to her rescue and patched up her wounds. She had told Normani that her husband is abusive and that she should have fought to not let him take Normani into his custody.

They had three children, who were all snobby. The eldest was a girl, Mia Jones, who was Normani's age, 17. She didn't attend the same school the dark skinned girl did though. She went to a more expensive and snobbier school in a rich area somewhere. Jim just wanted to brag that both his 'daughters' went to a private school.

The middle child was a boy, Anthony Jones, 16. He was an overconfident jock who thought he could get any girl he wanted just because his father has money. He also hates being told no and has tantrums when he doesn't have his way.

The youngest was a girl, Lani Jones, 15. Everyone saw her as a sweet little girl but she was a devil as well. The first day Normani got to the manor, she spilled hot water all over her and Normani had to quickly soak herself in cold water so the stinking wouldn't stay.

"What is it?" Lani asked her daddy who was drinking his glass of wine.

"We have guests coming on Friday for dinner sweetheart. I want everyone to be on their best behavior," He looked at Normani who was eating piece of her broccoli, "Especially you."

The dark skinned girl didn't say anything but nod her head.

"Who is visiting us dad?" Anthony asked, rubbing his hands together. He's probably thinking some girls might come over like the last time.

"Mr. Morgado and his wife will be coming here." He answered, smiling like an idiot in the process.

Normani was not concerned about who was coming anyway. The Jones always managed to make her look like a fool in front of any type of guests that showed up to the house.

Anthony and Mia looked at their father with wide eyes. "Is it what I think it is?"

Their father chuckled. "It is. I might finally move up the chain everyone. My hard work has finally paid off."

~

So I would like to thank everyone for reading this book. Its my first Laurmani book so I hope every enjoys.

Vote and comment if you like it.

Peace out.