Chapter 13: Hi and Low

Jay's POV:

I was lying in bed, completely awake even though it was almost midnight. I heard sobs coming from down the hall. "Yes, I understand... Bye," More sobs. I got up, concerned for whoever this was. I made my way down the hall, the cries getting louder. I found Madisyn sitting on her bed, her head in her pillow.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong?" I asked quietly while rushing to her side and putting my arms around her.

"I'm sorry, did I wake you up?" she asked.

"No, I was already up. Now what happened?" I waited for her to calm down, rubbing circles on her back. After she had finally stopped crying, Madi took a few shaky breaths before looking me in the eyes.

"My grandma's in the hospital. She fell and broke her hip," she whispered. Tears started to run down her cheeks again. I wiped them with my thumb. "My mom just called and told me she had to get surgery,"

"Are you going to go visit her?"

"Well, it's really late... And I can't go alone..."

"Then I'll go with you,"

She looked up at me, "I can't... you need some rest,"

"So do you. And something tells me you won't rest until you see her," The look in her eyes was enough for me to know I was right, "I'll go get dressed and meet you back here," I said before kissing her on the cheek and leaving the room.

I got dressed quickly and then wrote a note for everyone else, telling them where we were. I walked into her room, finding her already dressed and ready to go. I left the note I wrote on the fridge and we left.

Madi got in the driver's seat and started the car. The drive was silent for the most part, but about halfway there, I asked her, "Is she your grandma on your mother's side or your father's side?"

"My dad's," she answered plainly.

"Are you guys close?"

She looked me in the eyes and nodded before puttin her eyes back on the road. We were silent for the rest of the way there.

Once we got to the hospital Madisyn went straight to the front desk, asking for a "Gabriella James," The nurse pointed us in the right direction.

"You two came at the right time. She's just now ready for visitors," the nurse told us.

"Thank you," I responded. Madi stood at the door to her grandma's room, "You want me to come with you?" I asked her.

She nodded before grabbing my hand tightly. I squeezed it reassuringly.

Madi's POV:

I walked in slowly, not planning on letting go of Jay's hand any time soon. My grandmother laid on the bed. Her eyes lit up when she saw me.

"Madisyn! It's so nice to see you, how was Englad, hun?"

"You just had surgery and you're asking me how England was?" I asked her.

"I'm fine, really, hun. Just had some work done on my hip. So who's this handsome fella?"

"Oh, gram, this is my boyfriend-"

"James McGuiness, call me Jay," Jay said in his adorable accent, sticking the hand that wasn't holding mine out for her to shake. She grabbed it, quite oddly, because of her position on the bed.

"British... better keep him under lock and key," she winked at me. I giggled and leaned into Jay.

"I plan on it," I said before giving him a quick kiss on the lips. He chuckled.

"You two wanna grab a seat?" she asked.

We spent the night talking. I didn't notice how tired I was until it was about seven in the morning.

"We should probably get back," I told Jay.

"Yeah, today's our day off, so we can get some sleep,"

"Bye Gram, I love you,"

"Love you too sweetie,"

"Goodbye Mrs. James, I'm looking forward to seeing you again," Jay told her.

"Please, call me Gabbie dear," Jay smiled and we both waved.

Even in the car, I still didn't let go of Jay's hand. "You know this is weird..." he said.

"What is?"

"Driving on the wrong side of the road,"

"How do you think we feel in England?"

We laughed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So now we know at least one person in Madi's family approves of Jay...