3. That Little Thing Called Confidence

Start from the beginning

Actually, Clary had not thought of Jace Wayland until Hodge called her before the birds even started singing in the morning to tell her that she and her new colleague already had a mission in Texas and that they were expected to leave later that very same day. This is when Clary started fully realising what it would mean to work with a married man she slept with, and wanted to have sex with again. There was no point any more in lying to herself over and over, she craved for his touch. She had missed the way he had touched her during their night of folly. She had missed the way he made her feel. And now that she was calmly thinking about it, she wished that she had put some clauses in her contracts. Like, for example, the possibility to book her own planes and hotels, just to be sure that she wouldn't be stuck next seat or room with Jace Wayland.

All morning long, Clary had Jace Wayland in her mind while she did her suitcase; and now that she was getting dressed to travel, she had him in mind again. And it bothered her. She never really thought on how her outfits could impact others when she dressed, only caring if she felt good about herself in what she was wearing at the moment. But now, she was feeling like she was thinking like a bigot.

With a heave, she shook her head to focus and hushed herself when she saw that she only had an hour left before a cab would come pick her up. Swiftly, she put on her dress, throwing a brown belt and a long cardigan over it. She pondered for half a second the idea of doing a proper haircut; but after another quick glance at the clock, she decided against it and threw her straightener and curler in her suitcase. Then, she looked at her reflection, shooing her brush away as she managed to do a decent ponytail, in spite of her wild hair.

 Then, she looked at her reflection, shooing her brush away as she managed to do a decent ponytail, in spite of her wild hair

(Clary's outfit)

She was about to apply makeup on her face, when her phone blasted Kris Kross's Jump startling her just enough for her to put her phone on speaker all the while opening her mascara bottle. She barely had the time to let the caller know that they were online that her mother exclaimed:

"I am so happy for you, honey."

Clary rolled her eyes, retaining a grunt as she inwardly cursed her brother and his big mouth. As much as Clary had always been the one in their family to best keep a secret, Jon had always had a big mouth, wether he wanted it or not. How many surprises did he orchestrated and ruined, because he would unconsciously blurt everything before time.

"I was going to call you tonight from the hotel. I mean, you barely woke up, didn't you?" Clary assured, wondering how did Jon manage to find the time to call their Mom between his job, and the time zone. Their parents never moved from the city where they grew up and fell in love, Seattle; and therefore were three hours late to their New York time.

"From the hotel? Do you already have a mission? Oh, honey, I hope they didn't pressure you into signing anything you didn't want to commit to," Jocelyn worriedly asked, making Clary roll her eyes again, and miss the wing of her eyeliner. She groaned, before wiping the mess away and reassuring her mother: