Damage Done

New Years Eve is nothing special. I usually sit in my room and day and lounge around with Wilbur. My dad would be making food and Wren would help him. Then, we eat and watch the count down on t.v. Everyone goes to eat and New Years is the same business repeated over except we watch a movie instead. I like it simple like that.

Except this New Years Eve I was very uneasy. Every year, I didn't bother to make any resolutions. I knew nothing would change, and I didn't mind that. This year would be the same as the start of last year, but I didn't want that. I didn't want to start another year without Vincent.

"That's strange. I didn't see Vincent come by these last few days," Dad notes as he pops come chips into his mouth.

"They're having a lovers quarrel," Wren jokes.

"Shut up," I glare.

"Did you guys fight?" Dad asks.

"No, not really. He's probably just busy," I try to dodge his question.

"Yeah... That's probably why you've been staring at your phone every second of every day," Wren smirks.

"Everything's fine," I try to convince everyone, including myself.

"He should be over here by twelve," Wren says.

"Why?" I steal some chips from my dad's palm.

"Duh! The New Years kiss!"

Immediately, Dad and I start coughing and choking on whatever we were eating.

"Wren! We're just friends!" I say in a panic, eyeing for my dad's reaction. He seems uncomfortable and shy from the topic, but doesn't disagree with Wren.

I'm saved by my phone's text alarm. Quickly reaching for it, I hope to see Vincent's name, but it reads Vivian. Dad and Wren looks at me expectantly too, but when my expression drops so do their's, and they turn their attention back to the television.

Vivian: Hey, are you busy?

Me: Not really.

Vivian: Want to go to a New Years Eve party with me? Evelyn and Olivia have this date and they won't let me third wheel.

Me: I don't really like parties.

Vivian: I promise it will be fun.

Me: I'm tired.

Vivian: I'm in front of your house.

Scrambling, I run over to the front window and carefully peer outside. Vivian makes eye contact with me and I'm forced to open the door since I got caught.

"Hi, Wren. Hi, Mr. Lee!" Vivian greets my family as she walks in.

"Hi," they quietly reply, almost as if they were expecting someone else.

"Hurry, get changed," Vivian urges, nudging me upstairs. Looking at dresses, she can't find anything except for frilly ones I got as gifts in elementary school from my relatives.

"These will do," I say, pulling out a hoodie and jeans.

"Aw, you should dress up. It will be fun that way," Vivian whines, showing me her sparkly and short black dress.

"I think I'll stick to this. Don't push me or I won't come," I warn jokingly.

"Fine," Vivian pouts, plopping onto my bed to wait for me to change.

"Let me brush my hair real fast." Gathering up my clothes, I head to the bathroom.

"Would you mind if I borrowed some of your jewelry?"