Ride 1/? (Clexa Modern)

Lexa stuck her head out of the window. The warm breeze drying her hair. She was certain that this was better than whatever stupid thing that she was supposed to do this summer. Of course when she looked at the blonde that always seemed to be right beside her, whatever she was doing didn't seem very important. 

"What are you thinking about?" Clarke asked and Lexa shrugged. "Well stop, this isn't supposed to be about thinking. Isn't that what you told me earlier?" 

"Yeah, we're here to enjoy the ride." Lexa said and Clarke rolled her eyes, laughing. "Do we need to stop for gas?" 

"I mean, it wouldn't hurt, but we can wait until we get to the next town over." Clarke said and Lexa nodded. "My dad and I would make this trip a lot during the summer." 

"Is this the first time without him?" Lexa asked and Clarke nodded. "Costia loved long drives." 

"Is this your first time without her?" Clarke asked and Lexa shook her head. 

"This is my first time period." Lexa said and Clarke nodded. They drove in a comfortable silence for a few more miles before the car began to sputter and then stop. "I think we needed  gas earlier." 

"You don't say." Clarke said and Lexa turned in her seat. "There should be a gas station a couple miles away." 

"I told you to stop earlier, you can walk." Lexa said and Clarke huffed before getting out of the car. Lexa poked her head out of the car and looked at the total darkness. "Clarke, come back. It's dark and dangerous." 

"We can't sleep in the car Lexa." Clarke said and Lexa got out of the car and pulled her back there. "Let me go and get gas." 

"We'll do it in the morning, for now, you take the backseat, I'll crack the windows, and then in the morning, I'll get us gas and breakfast." Lexa said and Clarke gave her a funny look. "You can even have the pillow." 

"Thank you." Clarke said and Lexa reclined her seat. They slept in the car and when the sun began to rise in the morning, Lexa set off of her journey. It was a three and a half mile walk to the gas station and back, but she made it back before Clarke had woken up. 

"Hey, I brought food." Lexa said shaking Clarke lightly. They ate together in a comfortable silence, neither of them feeling the need to talk to each other. "I can drive the rest of the way, Costia managed to get the route engraved into my brain. She loved this place." 

"What made you want to come here?" Clarke asked and Lexa looked down. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. I was just a little curious." 

"How long ago did your dad die?" Lexa asked and Clarke thought on it. A part of her could remember everything as if it was yesterday, but the actual date of the accident was fuzzy. 

"About six years ago, right before I turned 14." Clarke said and Lexa nodded. "When did Costia die?" 

"Two months ago." Lexa said and Clarke frowned. "It stopped hurting a couple weeks after she passed, but now I just feel empty inside." 

"You'll feel numb and angry, but it'll pass. You just have to wait it out and try to really get things moving." 

"Thanks, and I'm going here because she wanted me to order her favorite drink, sit on the docks with a friend, and let them fly into the wind." Lexa said. "We were invincible before then, young, dumb, and reckless. The world wasn't ours, but we'd enjoy the little rides it took us on. Then it all came crashing down, she had a cold that turned into something serious and now she's in a stupid jar." 

"I'm really sorry Lexa." Clarke said and Lexa looked out the window, tears threatening to spill. 

"The worst part is that the doctor told me that if we would've came in sooner, she'd still be here. We'd be taking our first of many trips to this stupid beach that'll only remind me all the ways that I didn't get to know her." Lexa said, anger evident in her voice. "But I'm going to sit on the dock with some stupid beer she'd order for our apartment that tastes both too sweet and not sweet enough and I'll wait for that perfect breeze and I'll let her go into the wind, free and out where she belonged. What is there to do here?" 

"Surfing, swimming, arcades. This place is essentially a tourist town, when they leave, it practically shuts down." Clarke said and Lexa nodded. The rest of their 8 hour drive was spent in a near silence. Occasionally a song would come on the radio that Clarke or Lexa knew and they'd sing along, trying to distract themselves from any dreadful memories the small coastal city threatened to bring back. "Where are you staying?" 

"Shit, I knew I forgot something." Lexa said and Clarke smiled at her. "What?" 

"I've got a house down here, you've just got to mind my friends." Clarke said and Lexa smiled at her. 

"Thank you." Lexa said and Clarke nodded. 

"Think of it as a way to repay you for making the ride down here bearable."