He had not seen her leaving her spot ever since he had arrived, she would always remain sat in a corner with other maids or lying down, asleep.

“It is only normal” Diana said

“Yes” The Queen looked at Robert, knowing where he was looking at

“You should go and talk to her, I have always told you this” The Queen said

Robert glanced at her “There is nothing to be said, mother. I have never forced her to anything, much less forced her to…” he gulped

Diana frowned, not understanding the conversation “Forced her to what? Who?” She looked at the Prince

He took a deep breath, looking at her “It is nothing, Princess. It is past, I promise you”

Queen Beatrix looked at him, unsure of his decision.

She had watched the poor maid crying over him for long months, not leaving her spot, isolating herself from everybody.

“I am going to lie down, both of you should also get some rest” she stood up, kissing Robert’s forehead “We will talk tomorrow”

“Good night, mother” Robert said, before picking Diana up in his arms

“Robert!” she giggled, watching him walk with her to a far spot where some improvised bed and sheets were ready for them

“I am sorry that I cannot provide you the best bed in the castle right away. I will soon” he smiled, kissing her.

She smiled, her heart melting.

But she had not forgotten the weird conversation with his mother yet. She waited until both were comfortable to ask him.

Everyone was already asleep, but they were far and only whispering.

“What was that conversation before, with your mother, Robert?”

Robert looked at her, sadly “Diana, really… I…”

“Just tell me, Robert. You can tell me anything”

“It is past, Diana. I promise. I do not want us to fight over this”

“If it is past, I could never fight about it, Robert”

He took a deep breath “Jasmine… the young beautiful maid…” he whispered “I… well, you know how I was before, Diana” He looked at her

She nodded “So, both of you had something”

“Well, I was not particularly a… one woman man…” He bit his lip, as if embarrassed of himself “And… Well, Jasmine lived at the castle. It was not just a one-time thing, you now”

Diana looked at him, waiting for the rest

“I never forced her to anything, Diana. Ever. I am not that kind of man!” he said “Apparently she…”

“Fell in love with you”

Robert looked at her, unsure “Yes”

“You cannot blame her”

Robert looked at her “How could she fall in love with me when I just… used her? I mean…”

Diana looked at him, a small smile on her face “I cannot blame her, you are… well, you. I agree with your mother, it does not hurt to go, talk to her, explain everything. Apologize” she smiled, caressing his hair “You think I would get mad at you for this?”

He took a deep breath “I do not know, Diana. I just… I do not want to fight with you over something like this. It is my past… I am not proud of it. But I am not like that anymore”