Sorry Doesn't Fix Everything

Sammie's POV

When we got home, there was something I knew that I had to do. I had known it in my heart that this time was going to have to happen, I just didn't think it would come so fast. I had to call Jackson. I had to find out what the reality was behind all of those things he had said to me

Picking up my phone with a shaky hand, I pressed call.

"Hello?" A voice answered.

"Hey Jacks this is Sam. Can we talk?"

"Sure," he said. Something about what he said was awkward. It was like there was more he wanted to say but didn't.

"I just want you to tell me the truth. What were you thinking when you said all of those things to me?"

"I can explain. For the longest time, I've had a crush on you, but it always seemed like you were just treating me as a friend-"

"Because that's all you were to me! I love you to death Jackson but you're like my brother, I can't love you."

"I know. But don't you think it also hurt me inside too? I turn on a soccer game to see my best friend being proposed to by some guy she met only three months ago. It hurt Sammie, a lot."

Trying not to let my voice build to an angry tone I said, "What was I supposed to do? Say no? Embarrass the person I love? No, I couldn't. You don't understand how much I've been through. How would it feel if you were me? I found out that my brother has been calling me god awful names behind my back causing boys to look at me like I'm trash. My father just disowned me and tried to steal me away. My fiance almost broke his back, and he did break his nose saving me. He beat my dad to a pulp to save me. I can't remember the last four years of my life. I didn't know who my boyfriend was for a while. And now, I'm engaged. All in a summer this happened. How do you think that makes me feel?"

"Sammie I-"

"No, just stop. You're my best friend and you called me stupid. You yelled at me for falling in love. Then you just go and say you love me? That's not how love works Jacks. And even though I've suffered through so much, I've gained a lot. I now have five new best friends and a fiance. I met four little girls who are like my little sisters. I finally felt like a family."

"I know what I said was wrong."

"Then why did you say it?"

"Because I love you-"

"If you truly loved me, you wouldn't have called me stupid, and you wouldn't have yelled at me for following my heart."

"I know, I'm really sorry."

"Really sorry isn't going to fix this. You should see how Louis treats me. He knew for years that Harry had called me a tramp but he didn't say anything to me. He didn't say anything, because he couldn't bring himself to even look at me and repeat those words even if he didn't say it in the first place. He loves me so much. If you really truly loved me, you wouldn't have called me stupid. I hope you learn from this Jacks." And with that, I hung up. I didn't regret anything I said. All of it was true and he needed to hear that. Saying sorry doesn't fix everything.