Chapter Eighteen

Saturday must be the day everyone in the whole damn world shops, Dean thought as he watched people navigate the mystical Mart of Wal. Of course, Walmart was usually crowded, but this was ridiculous. There were shoppers everywhere, putting things they didn't need into their carts. And these people didn't move with celerity, either. They were sloths, slouched over their cart and waddling more than walking down the aisles. Dean made an effort to avoid all of them.

Castiel was unfazed by the crowd, however, as he rummaged through the racks of clothing, brow furrowed in concentration. He pulled shirts off the rack occasionally, folding them in half over his arm.

Checking his phone, Dean felt content. He was doing something normal. It was nice to relax and be completely mundane with all the crap that had been happening. He ran through a mental list of things Castiel needed, such as shaving materials, a toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, body wash, (him and Sam had each chosen a bottle specifically for them, and Dean figured Castiel would like some of his own) socks, underwear, and many other things he couldn't think of right then. He also made a note to get more essentials for the bedroom.

He looked up when Castiel cleared his throat. The man was smiling wide as he laid sweater after sweater over his arm, which was starting to look weighed down by all the threads. "Cas, you wanna go try those on? We have time, you don't need to take everything in at once. Besides, there's a limit to the fitting rooms."

Castiel seemed to focus. "Oh." He started to laugh. "I guess I just got a little excited. I haven't been shopping for a while." He said sheepishly.

"Come on, bee, I'll wait outside for you." Dean smiled.

Castiel stood patiently as the old fitting room attendant unlocked a door and gave him a number to put on the door. Dean was left to wait outside on the cold metal bench with all the other clothes Castiel hadn't been allowed to bring. Castiel quickly stripped his shirt and began trying on the different sweaters. From the six he'd brought in, he chose a navy blue that made his eyes glow, a maroon, and a green sweater.

He called for Dean to bring in six more and take the three he'd chosen. Dean chuckled as Castiel tossed the clothes over the door, catching them and laying another new set over the door. He took the chosen sweaters and silently judged them as he sat back down. He loved the blue one, knew it'd make those pretty eyes his boyfriend was blessed with pop. The green was his second favorite, since it matched Dean's own eyes and he felt like Castiel had picked it for that reason alone. He pictured him in the maroon sweater and nodded to himself. That would look nice on his tanned skin.

"Uh, Dean?" Castiel's voice, pitched higher in some kind of panic, drifted out.

Dean laid the remaining sweaters down, keeping them separate from the ones Castiel had picked. He knocked on the fitting room door and heard the lock pop as Castiel let him inside. Dean struggled not to burst out laughing. He looked at Castiel, whose elbow was stuck in a place the arm hole was not, head buried somewhere underneath all the material.

"I'm stuck." Castiel stated the obvious.

Keeping his laughter inside by a miracle, Dean helped his lover with the sweater. When the thing was pulled down and Castiel's arm was back to its normal position, he stepped back to judge it. This was a thicker one, with a turtleneck and a small white design drawn prettily across the black surface. "It looks good." Dean assured him.

Castiel beamed, turning sideways to the mirror. "I love this one."

Dean took his arms and walked him backward, settling him against the thin wooden wall that shook all the adjoining rooms when pressure was applied. "Why'd you pick the green one out there?" He asked into Castiel's ear.