Five: Caged To Wire

Lacey I looked at the pristine silky sapphire ribbon with a wide smile. Loup brought this the day after he came to my home so suddenly. It was so silky; so clean and pure in blue.

I had been at home; practicing – with little success- my powers when I heard a clunk by the door. I ran from the kitchen; thinking with such high hopes that it was Loup, but instead I found a red box wrapped with a white bow. It looked so delicate; so frail and wonderful to me. Then I found a little note with a smooth black ink writing.

It simply said: As promised here is your present. I hope to see you wear it. Signed; Your Loyal Servant Loup Dagmir.

I had the note inside my brown dress pocket; my fingers would reach for it without me realizing. I touched my cheeks; they were warm and red. I sat up and looked at my round mirror upon my desk and placed the blue ribbon into my hair with expert fingers. I looked at my curls and sighed. I so wished that my hair were a lighter color or the curls weren't so long.

I looked at my plain long neck and sleeved dress; wishing I was wearing something a bit more pretty. I looked at my face; what could such a beautiful man like Loup see in me? I had a narrow and sharp face and such huge dark eyes; I looked like such an innocent girl.

“Lacey?”

I jumped and made a weird sound as I turned around. “Richard...you frightened me.” I gasped; trying to catch my composure.

He looked a bit confused but shrugged. “I thought you saw me.” He cleared his throat and straighted his red tie. “My mother wishes to see you.”

“Aunt Clara?” I said as I stood up and gathered my dress in my hands.

“Yes, I believe she is going to see those werewolves.” He said it as if he could care less. This is why Aunt Clara chose me as her successor instead of her son; he hated werewolves, which is not an ideal quality for Guardians.

I walked past him and ran down our wooden stairs to find Aunt Clara putting on her black coat and placing the hood up. She looked up at me; her face was so beautiful.

“Lacey grab your coat.” She ordered while giving little William a kiss while he played in the arms of my other Aunt named Helena.

I grabbed my coat and tied it on my neck quickly. “Where are we going, Aunt Clara?”

“To see Fox.” She stated.

Aunt Helena placed William on her hip, “Be careful! Fox is a wild wolf.” She came toward me; her black curls bouncing along as she did. “You watch yourself little Lacey. Your Mother; my sister Trina might be dead, but I know she'll rise up and haunt me if she knew you were caught in some fight.” She kissed my forehead.

“We will be back before midnight.” Aunt Clara said as she led me through the door.

Aunt Helena always talked so bluntly. My Mother and Father died when I was ten; yet the wound is still fresh. It feels so odd to hear her say my Mother's name so casually. I almost feel as if my parents were characters in a book; just names.

Aunt Clara placed her arm around me, which was odd because she's never really held me before. “Aunt Helena means well.” She whispered and then let go of me; calling a coach.

As we rode to Fox's place I was thinking about seeing Loup, even though I tried not to. I kept my face away from Aunt Clara; hiding perhaps a pleased expression. When we stopped in front of the werewolf den; I felt my heart clog inside my throat.

Aunt Clara knocked on the door; so strong and demanding. She put down her hood; as did I. The door opened and to my disappointment it wasn't Loup. It was the same small reddish haired boy from before.