Two: Haunting Past

Lacey:I can feel it, scathing under the surface, a water valve waiting to be tapped, to be erupted. A low drum beat, a low violin string continuously playing, a fire burning.

I loose it before the power can be reached.

My eyes open with a dreadful sigh at the non-broken vase in my palms.

“Better luck next time, Lacey.” My cousin Richard said, scratching his black night hawk hair.

I placed the plain blotchy glass vase on our wooden table in frustration.

“I shall never reach my powers, it is impossible.” I pouted like an infant.

Richard laughed, “It’s not impossible, dear Lacey. It will just take some time.” He got up in his newly tailored suit and a shiny pocket watch in his front compartment; he had a clean black bow as well that wasn’t crooked for once. I noticed his buckled leather shoes were shiny as well.

“New suit?” I inquired.

He fixed the brass button to his sleeves, “Yes.”

“What for?” I asked a tad upset that Richard got a new suit while I was stuck with my plain dresses.

He smiled, his wide lips were the only sign he had any of our blood in him. “I’m to be the new assistant at the printing press.” He said proudly.

Richard was so lucky, I would be lying if I didn’t say I was jealous of him. Richard was fair skinned with bright indigo eyes, pink lips, cheek bones that were as dominate as the rest of our family, and a face others could trust. He was so tall, broad, and mighty handsome.

He wasn’t a sore thumb in the mortal world.

I was though.

“They hired you?” I asked, crossing my arms.

I was even a sore thumb in my world, just because I hadn’t gained my powers yet, that I hadn’t accessed them. I was useless in the divine task my family was given.

“Yes, they did.” He muttered then swept back his hair, making sure it has nice and tight.

I stood up, gathering my pale brown shirt in my hands, and walked past him to grab my red ribbon. I put it in my black coal curled hair. I looked up at my reflection in our mirror in a gold frame.

You could tell I came from Mubarak blood. I was not of fair complexion with light eyes. I had light brown skin, with dark almost black eyes, high cheek bones and really wide pink lips, and quarter size dimples. My eyes were huge, round with long lashes; I also had around the pupil an odd purple and red rim.

Every Guardian has one; it is our sign almost.

“Where are you off to, Lacey?”

I turned around buttoning up my neck color carefully. “Aunt Clara and I are going to see Fox.” I almost choked on his name.

He could be intimidating sometimes, but I was not to be afraid of them. It would be wrong for someone like me; a guardian meant to protect the spirits to be afraid of the people she was assigned to.

“Him? I thought we weren’t supposed deal with his clan until next full moon.” Richard said grabbing his coat.

I grabbed the newspaper off the table and handed it to him, “Aunt Clara said that Fox said he needed to speak with us. We are the closest to him; it’s only right we go.” I dusted off his shoulders.

Richard sighed and touched the painted glass on the kitchen window; his finger on the crescent moon. “Fox is temperamental when it comes to us. Please be careful, Cousin, his clan does not take kindly to Guardians.” He kissed my forehead.

Broken Luminescent - Book Twoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें