Part 9: The Dreams We Live

Standing in the dark of the night, in the middle of winter in the cold is the least of Jon Spencer's worries. He can hear the argument from within the walls, and he is quite sure most of the block can hear it as well. He has faced down hungry lions, man-eating crocodiles, and birds larger than him. Surely he can face those within these walls. All he needs is a single look from one person to give him the courage he needs. He reaches up and rings the doorbell. He can feel her, so close and yet still far away. He is here. Can she feel him?

Jon isn't standing there long in the snow before he hears the doorknob turn and open, revealing the most beautiful woman he has ever laid eyes on. When she says his name, he feels like he can do anything. He can hear the relief and surprise in her tone, but her dark eyes are what draws him to her. "You're here." She puts her arms around him, and he thanks the Lord every day that he can do so.

"I am here, Love." He says while breathing out the air he didn't know he was holding. Emma is his life support now. Without her, his world is lost. When she lets him go, she allows him entry and shuts the door behind him. He hadn't realized how much it is snowing until he takes off his black coat and the snow falls to the ground. She takes his camera bag and sets it on a bench beside the door. Jon then pulls her to him, enjoying the feeling of being near his wife once more. "I missed you, Emma." He kisses her briefly, and he can feel her relax against him. He knew this would be hard for her to face, which is why he did everything in his power to be by her side. "I couldn't wait until New York. I hope it is alright."

Emma pulls away slightly, sniffling a little, and he knows it isn't from the cold. "It is perfect. I hoped you would come. You are always spontaneous, so I had hope."

"Then I am glad I came so that I didn't disappoint my wife." Jon's words cause Emma to giggle slightly. He looks her over, taking in her classy dress and best efforts to look amazing. Little does she know that she doesn't need all of that to be beautiful, for she already is. However, he knows her self-esteem is still wavering, so he takes every opportunity to tell her, even when she is just in sweat pants. "You look stunning, Emma." The look she gives him makes his heart melt.

"Thank you, Love." Emma places a quick kiss on his lips, and then places her hands around his arm, leading him into the front living room. "You remember these two right?" She says, half-joking, for they spend much time together.

"Oliver and Ewan." He shakes their hands. "Always a pleasure to see you two again. How was the tour?" He feels Emma lean her head against his shoulder, and he slips his hand into one of hers, though she still clings to him. She needs support, and that is why he is here.

"Very entertaining," Ewan says with a loud laugh. "Also, a nightmare, but no less fun."

"Where were you this time?" Oliver asks Jon, with enormous curiosity. They have always been fascinated by his work. Being a highly sought after nature photographer has its perks.

"India." Answers Jon. "It was beautiful, as always, but I am glad to be back in the states."

"Looking forward to some R and R time with the wife?" Ewan asks, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively. Emma slaps his shoulder with a laugh and reddened cheeks.

They laugh collectively. "I am always looking forward to time with the wife," Jon says, while giving Emma a glance that he knows makes her knees tremble.

"Where to next?" Emma asks him. He knows she dislikes his spontaneous schedule, but he is working on remedying it. Jon had been in Australia when he met Emma, and he never could forget those dark lost eyes. She was slow to trust him, and slow in her feelings towards him, but from the moment Jon had seen her, his whole life changed and he knew exactly what he wanted. He wanted Emma. He was patient and waited and he can safely say it was the most rewarding thing he has ever done. He helped her and challenged her to live the life she wanted to live. He never tried to change her, but rather let her be who she is, and met up alongside her with time. Eventually, she saw him as an ally and a friend. From there, he found his way into her heart and he never let her go. He owed Ewan and Oliver, for they had been crucial in getting Emma to trust him; for getting her to see that he wasn't like the last man in her life. They could see what he was trying to get Emma to see, and they helped her realize just how much Jon cared for her and her for him. When she finally came to him and admitted to him how she felt, he promised to never hurt her and admitted to feeling the same but was waiting for her to take that step first.

Decisionsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें