Part 7: The Hearts We Break

There is only one thing Patrick McClintock has ever been able to rely on, that that is his high dollar camera. Sitting apart from most others at the wedding, he clutches the camera tightly in his left hand while his right hand is busy taking notes for the captions. The ceremony is yet to begin, and he has to give Hannah Cassidy credit; she knows how to throw a wedding. The wedding isn't to his taste. If it is his wedding the place would be decorated more simply, to match his lifestyle. That is why he likes his camera, it is simple.

He is glad to be at the wedding, despite being rejected by Brooke who is sitting nearly in the front row documenting every detail. It comes as a much-needed distraction from the disaster of a week he has been having. From Brooke's rejection to Andrew breaking his nose for no reason to Emma not talking to him, to him nearly getting fired, it has been a week for the record books for the worst week in his whole life. He had tried to talk to Brooke before the wedding and she was quick to shut him down once again, claiming she is leaving right after the reception and if he follows her she will get a restraining order against him. He hates to think of how blind he is in loving her that he missed all the signs of her not loving him back. He can't understand why Brooke is so against even trying to love him. Perhaps she loves another? Impossible, Brooke has hardly any time to even look at a man outside of her job, which is why he thought he had a shoo-in. He doesn't. Not only has he lost one friend, but he has lost Emma as well. She must blame him for Brooke leaving so soon, though he doesn't know why. He had followed Emma's every instruction. If anything, he should be mad at Emma for giving him bad advice. Surely she should have known if Brooke was interested in him or not. Still, he can't be mad at Emma, because it just isn't like him.

The music begins to play, signaling the start of the ceremony. Andrew follows the priest through a side door, and everyone watches as the procession comes down the center aisle. In total there are six groomsmen with a bridesmaid on their arm, as each set walks to the altar. Following the groomsmen and bridesmaids, comes Emma on the arm of Oliver. The best man looks much like he always does when Patrick sees him; suit and tie. He also notices the small wink he sends towards the male singer off to the side. Though Oliver looks the same, Emma is much changed. She is beauty in human form. He can see the nervousness on her face, but she hides it well behind a smile. She is happy to be here, regardless of being a current center of attention. Her dark eyes shine with happiness, and she never once looks his way, for he wishes to tell her she looks beautiful. He wonders if she is deliberately not looking at him. He watches as she passes by him, and almost forgets to continue capturing pictures.

After Emma, the young flower girl and ring bearer, both cousins of the groom, came walking by. The flower girl nearly trips over the length of her dress, but the young boy catches her arm before the basket can spill on the ground. Both look embarrassed but thankful. The music changes and everyone automatically knows what to do. The guests stand, and the doors open wise revealing the bride on the arm of her father. The look on the father's face is one of pride and also sadness at the loss of a daughter, but hope in gaining a son. As they pass, Patrick once again finds himself scanning the room and settles on Emma. He can't help but feel like he wants this; the wedding and all that comes with it. He wants a beautiful bride and being surrounded by loving friends. He had thought he wanted Brooke, but the longer he gazes at Emma, the more she fades into the background of his mind, being replaced by the dark-haired beauty catching his attention. What if he was never meant to have Brooke? What if he was supposed to end up with Emma?

The wedding only lasts a half-hour or so, though to Patrick it seems to drag on. The vows are exchanged and the priest announces them as husband and wife, Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Markus. To most of the guests here, they might be convinced that this wedding is legit, but to some of them that knew the truth, they knew it to be an arranged marriage. Emma had told Patrick the truth a long time ago when the two first became engaged. However, he does question his information when the priest announces that Andrew can kiss Hannah, for he had expected them to skip over that part, but they don't. Surprisingly, they share their kiss in front of everyone. Patrick stands and claps with the rest of the guests and the newlyweds make their way back down the aisle. As Emma passes by him, he reaches out to grab her arm, but she flinches away from him, hard enough to knock into Oliver. She apologizes to the best man and doesn't look back at Patrick. He is too shocked to try again. How can she be so mad at him? He has to talk to her. There is something else going on. Patrick knows that when Emma is mad, she holds it in until it boils to the surface and explodes like a bomb. She would explode like she did the other knight. Yes, he has to talk to her. He makes it his goal for the rest of the night.