Blue Anger

Do I Wanna Know - Arctic Monkeys

Dan held a damp cloth up to Phil's forehead

Dan held a damp cloth up to Phil's forehead. He was bleeding from where he'd been punched earlier. Right above the eye.

According to Phil, it'd only bled a little bit and the main problem was the bruise, and then it stopped bleeding and din't really hurt that much all together, but now it was bleeding again because that motherfucker punched someone wearing goddamn glasses.

Dan was annoyed.

"Dan?" Phil called his attention. He was sitting on the counter in Dan's bathroom, right next to the sink. Dan was trying to clean up his injury so that they could put a band-aid on it and call it a day.

"Yes" Dan was trying to avoid looking Phil in the eye by focusing intently on the spot right above it, where he had a huge bruise.

"Why did you do that?" He asked, "Why did you punch the guy? Twice. And then kick him." Phil's voice was softer and more delicate than usual. Dan was standing very close to him. He could feel those blue eyes boring into his.

"You would've done it too, if Andrew, or whatever his name is, hadn't held you back." Dan could hear the malice slipping into his speech. He didn't mean to get mad. He didn't mean to feel any emotions, most of the time. He usually actually tried to prevent them. It hadn't worked even once in his whole life. Also, he remembered Anthony's name. He just didn't care to say it.

"Thats not answering my question, Dan." Phil said, raising his hand and closing it gently around Dan's wrist, forcing him to take his attention from Phil's wound and actually look at him. So Dan did. He looked him in the eyes.

"Because he punched you. Hard. You were wearing your fucking glasses." Dan could feel anger building in his heart. He tried to stop it, like he always did.

"Dan..." Phil lowered his hand, but didn't let go of Dan's wrist. "You're not supposed to be like that. You're not supposed to be the one who punches people and gets mad. You're the nice one." Phil sounded sad. Which just made Dan even angrier.

"Oh, so you're allowed to actually do things and I just have to sit there quietly and watch from afar? Am I not allowed to go to parties and have fun too?" He was raising his voice. He knew this wasn't going to get him anywhere and he knew that he wasn't actually mad at Phil. But he was mad. And he had to put that anger somewhere. He felt helpless. Like he was trying to clean up spilled water with his bare hands. It wasn't doing anything, and he knew he was doing it wrong, but he didn't have a sponge or a towel to clean up the mess with.

"Dan, thats not what I'm saying, I just-" Phil's voice was slipping. He was starting to sound hopeless.

"I can have fun too, Phil. I can go and flirt with random guys if I want to too, you know? So yeah, I punched that dude. And after that, I made out with Will Wattfort. And if you can do that shit, then so can I. I can do whatever I want, Phil." Dan pulled his hand away from Phil's grip and stormed out of the bathroom, crossing the hall and going to his room.