Play Pretend

Slow Town - Twenty One Pilots

They ran back from the aquarium to Dan's house in a mad dash, even though no one was chasing them. Sometimes Dan felt like that was the best way to go about things. And Phil always thought that was the best way to go about things.

And of course, even though it was summer in New York, it started raining.

It rarely rained where they were in the summers. Especially in June. They got the classic New York rainfall in April, but it was always dry as hell in June.

But of course it started raining, and Dan wasn't sure that it wasn't coming from Phil's power of loving cliches.

Phil twirled in a circle and looked at Dan, his features barely readable in the darkness, even though they were only separated by a few feet of space. Phil reached his hand out, Dan instantly responding, lifting his arm towards Phil. It was like a magnetic pull, he didn't even have to think about it. Dan just gravitated closer to Phil, always. Phil used this to his advantage.

He pulled Dan in and kissed him, his hand firmly on Dan's lower back.

"You're so great." Phil whispered, smiling giddily, his eyes closed. Everything that he did, he did it with giddy.

Dan just blushed and moved away, walking forward.

"I don't know why you think so. No one else seems to share you opinion." He didn't say it with self hatred or embarrassment, Phil knew this, he just said it because he was always amazed at how amazing Phil seemed to find him.

"Well they should." Phil skipped to catch up. "You're the coolest person I know. You always beat me at Crash Bandicoot, you take great pictures, you know how to dance, you say interesting things. And you're way hotter than any of the other guys around here, that too."

Dan chuckled. They'd had this discourse before. Where Dan thought he was ordinary, and Phil thought he was extraordinary.

"Not counting you" Dan added.

"Of course, not counting me." Phil said sarcastically, sticking his hands in his pockets and walking beside Dan with a jump in his step. Sometimes he seemed manic, just in the way that he moved and walked and talked. It was part of his charm, though. That stupid charm that  Dan could never resist.

They walked like that through the woods behind the aquarium, rain now pouring from the sky, until they were sopping wet and had almost reached the end of the forest, which was only a block away from Dan and Phil's neighborhood.

Dan shot a side glance at Phil, catching him trying to push his fringe into place and miserably failing. And all he could think was how tragic it was that no matter what the situation was, Dan would always think Phil looked perfect.

He could be crying with puffy eyes and a red nose and he'd still look perfect.

He could be frowning and annoyed and bitch and he'd still look perfect.