Anthony Padilla

"Can I go over to your house for dinner tonight?" Dan asked over the phone. His parents had gone out to shop for groceries and he knew that his mother was planning on making dinner that night. She wasn't all that great of a chef.

"Even I don't eat dinner at my house Dan. That'd be so awkward. Especially with my brother visiting from college, he hates me even more than my parents do." Dan could practically hear Phil rolling his eyes.

"They don't hate you." Dan said quietly and unhelpfully.

"No, you're right. They don't hate me, they're just really disappointed that I didn't turn out as 'perfect' as my brother." Phil corrected himself.

"Whatever, lets just go to Ruby's. The burgers kind of suck, but the milkshakes are good." Dan offered, leaning against the wall behind him.

"Ok, Ruby's at 6:30. I'll head over to your house and we'll walk from there." Now Dan was rolling his eyes.

Phil's house was closer to Ruby's than Dan's, but Phil would do anything to avoid Dan going over to his house. Ever since he'd moved, they barely hung out at Phil's house. It was also around the time that Phil came out to his family and his brother initially said that he couldn't live in the house anymore. Ever since then it had been a lot of Phil over at the Howell residence.

Dan walked over to Phil's house at 6:20 to make sure that he'd get there before Phil started going over to Dan's. Sometimes awkward encounters had to happen. And Dan loved hating Martyn so blatantly. He knew how much the big brother disapproved of Phil even existing, and as the person who was most thankful for Phil's existence, Dan thought of it as a personal challenge.

The chips of his doorbell weren't as familiar in this house as they were at the old house, but he'd still memorized them by accident.

"Oh, hi Daniel." He was greeted by Martyn, who'd awkwardly gone from a smile to a disapproving glare within the first seconds of opening the door.

"Hi Martyn. You still have the old haircut. I see you didn't take my advice on that."

~~~

"I can't believe you came by my house." Phil was being overdramatic. And that was coming from Dan. Which is really saying something.

"Oh come on, Phil, it wasn't that big of a deal." Dan replied, taking fries off of Phil's plate. Phil had ordered a burger, a mint chocolate chip milkshake, and a plate of fries. Not a side of fries. A plate of fries.

"You insulted his hair again, after the whole scene you made when he visited for Christmas. And then you called him childish for mentioning that you had an afro when you were eight. I've never heard anyone say 'pick on someone your own size' in such a passive aggressive way before, in my life. And I have seen a lot of passive aggression in my days at Lester family dinners." Phil reminded harshly, taking an angry bite from his burger. Yes, an angry bite from a burger. Phil could do anything in an angry way when he was annoyed.