She almost glared at him and gave him a look, stating 'Give-my-cap-right-now' but Dev had some other plans in his mind.

"Firstly, tell me. Are you interested to join us for a trip?".

Trip?

Trip!

Yes?

No?

Definitely no!

Her face blazed like a dead ashen body.

All the tiniest playfulness that she might have developed flew away at the mere mention of the word 'trip'.

The 'trip' is that word which brings out all the delightful memories of a beautiful place anyone might have visited with their friends or family or want to visit in the future for creating artistic memories but for Arvika it was a whole different phrase. For her, it was the synonym of horror, terror and aversion.

The real hardship of her life started with this particular term only.

Arvika could still remember how her first and probably the last trip of her life was so much so wretched that she had to alienate herself from everyone. And the reason behind such dreadful memory was now standing in front of her asking her again to join a trip of wretchedness? Was it her fate or her stars were malicious? She didn't know why but she felt like slapping Dev for asking this inquest. He already knew how much melancholy the last trip had left on Arvika yet he was offering her a ride to presumably hellfire?

How dare he!

"Last experience was enough for me, I guess to survive my whole life in guilt and shame of the crime I hadn't even committed," abhorrence, bitterness, and stiffness oozed off her lips and before Dev could comprehend all her words, Arvika started fleeing the classroom in haste with the warm gush of tears speeding down her plump cheeks.

Why did it always happen with her?

Why?

Whenever she thought that Dev was changed, something or the other would happen with her that would just extricate off all the good characteristics she observed in Dev.

"Arvika, stop," Dev sprinted after her when her words finally registered inside his head. He held her wrist and yanked her near him. His eyes were darted and red. But he immediately left her hands noticing her blazing eyes.

Time & again, Arvika was always stuck at one point. Why couldn't she just forget all this and start a new life from a new chapter? Why couldn't she?

Taking a deep breath, Dev continued, "I am sorry for the past. I shouldn't have done that but now, I cannot do anything other than feeling blameworthy about it. Please forgive me, Arvika and move on from..." before he could've completed his sentence, Arvika's humourless laugh blocked his vocal cords. He looked perplexed and baffled at her sudden change of demeanour.

"Today, on a very serious note, answer me one thing, Dev sir. Will you?" she asked in a subtle tone and taking a cue of Dev's nod, Arvika recapitulated, "What would you've done if some guy kissed your sister on her lips in front of all her classmates, teachers? Can you please give me an honest answer?" Arvika's voice sustained pain, desperation, and her eyes were swelled even more with those fat globules of teardrops.

The abruptly changed tone of Arvika deadened Dev. He was tongue-tied at her counterquestion. He didn't know how to answer her inquisition. "I...I would've..." and his babbling gave away the answer Arvika was yearning for.

She flashed him a satirical smile and continued, "You would've surely forgiven that guy by giving him some presents like a black eye, fractured limbs and lots of colourful words. Typical Indian elder brother if I am not wrong". She knew she hit a nerve; Dev's veins were protruding out from his temple and his neck as if they'd perforate out anytime now in sheer fury.