Chapter 12

Chapter 12

       Most of my time at home was spent in the music/art room. Even when I was being homeschooled, that was where the lessons took place since it was the one place I felt the most comfortable in.

       And since it never took me long to do my homework now that I was attending public school, I still had plenty of time to spend in there.

       However, I technically was doing homework since I was working on the sculpture for art class right now, but I never really thought of any art projects as homework. I loved it too much.

       I didn't even mind that I was working on the sculpture alone. Massey was in here for about five minutes before claiming she was going to get a snack.

       That was over an hour ago.

       Someone walked into the art room, and I immediately knew that it wasn't Massey.

       I was right. It wasn't Massey.

       It was Mom. She walked over and sat beside me on the table I was at. "What are you working on?" she asked.

       "A sculpture for art class," I said. "I have to make something that represents me and my partner."

       "Ah, I remember doing that in high school," Mom said. "So, who's your partner? Or did Mrs. Jeffrey let you do it on your own? She's an understanding teacher, and was going to let me do it on my own until your father offered to pair up with me."

       "No, Massey is actually my partner," I said. "And we are creating the yin and yang symbol with fetuses instead instead of those circles. It was my idea for the symbol, and hers for the fetuses because she wanted to make a womb but I wouldn't let her because it was too simple."

       "How come she's not helping you right now?" Mom asked. "You can't do the project on your own."

       "She went to get a snack," I said. "Over an hour ago. It's fine. I'd rather do it alone anyway."

       "Jeremy, you can't do the project on your own and let Massey get a mark for it," Mom said.

       "I'd rather not fail."

       "You're not going to fail just by letting her help you," Mom said. "In fact, I am going to get her right now."

       Mom left the room, and instead of coming back, Massey walked in and flopped on the chair beside me, a scowl written across her face. "Thanks for telling Mom I wasn't helping," she said.

       "I didn't say that," I said. "She walked in and saw you weren't helping. I told her I'm perfectly fine doing this by myself. We'll just do what you asked before and have me sculpt while you paint it."

       "Fine by me," Massey said, leaning back in the chair and pulling her phone out of her pocket. "I just hope Mom doesn't check in on us and tells me to help you out because I'll probably only end up ruining the sculpture instead."

       Well, she wasn't wrong there. I wouldn't ever say it out loud, though.

       I continued working on the sculpture, trying to shape it as perfect as I could into a sphere. It was taking a lot of work, and it was definitely taking a lot of clay, but at least we seemed to have an endless supply of clay since both Mom and I loved it so much.

       Dad suddenly called Massey's name, saying someone was at the door for her. She left the room, but came back shortly after.

       With Katie behind her.

       Great...

       "Jeremy, Katie's going to hang out in here with us since Mom probably won't let me leave the room," Massey said.

       "Okay," I said, making sure to keep my attention on the clay. I just might end up blushing if I looked over at Katie, and I did not want Massey noticing and thinking I had a crush on her best friend because I totally didn't.

       Absolutely not...

       "Are you working on the art project?" Katie asked.

       "He is, I'm not," Massey said. "I'm supposed to be helping but I'm only going to end up ruining the project, so I'm just going to paint it when he finishes. We're making a womb."

       "We're not making a womb, Massey," I said. 

       "It's close to a womb."

       "How is a yin and yang symbol close to a womb?"

       "It will have fetuses as the dots, and wombs have fetuses."

        I did not know why Massey was so obsessed with the idea of wombs.

       "I wished I had a partner I at least had something in common with," Katie said. "I ended up being paired up with Brad."

       Massey gasped. "No way! How come you didn't tell me?!"

       "Uh, because it's not that big of a deal?" Katie said. 

       "Not that big of a deal?" Massey asked. "He's, like, the hottest guy in the whole school."

       "I wouldn't say that," Katie said. 

       "Date him, please."

       I was really hating this conversation right now, and I was trying hard to just concentrate on the sculpture, but Massey was making quite impossible by telling my crush to date someone else.

       This must have been what jealousy felt like.

       "What? No," Katie said. "I don't like him, and I don't go for guys just because of their looks."

       "Who said you should date him because of his looks?" Massey asked. "He's also a really sweet guy. Probably the sweetest guy in the school."

       "I wouldn't say that," Katie said. "I know much sweeter people."

       "So... You're not going to date him?" Massey asked.

       "Not interested."

       "Fine. But you'e missing out."

       "Believe me, I'm not. Now stop being so dramatic."

       "That's not going to happen," I muttered, and mostly because of how annoyed Massey was making me right now.

       Massey looked at me and glared. "I'm not being dramatic."

       I snorted. "Yeah, okay."

       "What's your problem?" Massey asked.

       "Nothing," I said before stepping away from the sculpture to get a better view of how it looked so far. It was the best shape I could get it into, and I was finally satisfied with it. "I'm done for the day."

       "Good, I can leave this room now," Massey said. "Let's go to my room Katie."

       Massey left the room, but Katie lingered behind a bit. "Massey may be my best friend and I love her to death, but sometimes I wish she wasn't so dramatic," Katie said.

       "At least you don't have to live with her," I said.

       "Yeah, true," Katie said. "And speaking of, I should follow her before she gets mad at me for taking so long."

_________________

lol i last updated this 9 months ago. OOPS. mY bAd.

I'm horrible at having too many books and forgetting about them all haahhaha.