Chapter 6

Chapter 6

       High school. One of the things I was dreading ever since Mom told me that I was no longer able to be homeschooled. And now, the day was here. I was going to be in high school like everyone else. I was going to be near a lot of people. My anxiety was going to skyrocket through the roof.

       "You'll be fine, Jeremy," Mom said when Dad pulled into the parking lot. "It's really not that bad."

       Massey was already out of the car by then. Way to be supportive of her twin brother who spent most of his time the day before helping her with her homework.

       "Mom, what if the teacher asks me to introduce myself to the class?" I asked. "What if they ask me a question? What if someone tries talking to me?"

       "Relax," Mom said. "Your teachers already know about your selective mutism so they won't ask you to talk in front of your class. And Massey is in all of your classes. You'll be fine."

       "Now get out," Dad said. "I have somewhere to go."

       I sighed and got out of the car, followed by Tyler. I watched as Mom and Dad drove off. I was now stranded in high school. I was actually going here.

       "It's really not that bad," Tyler said. "The only thing that worries people is bumping into the most popular people in school."

       "And what if I do?" I asked.

      "If you do," Tyler said, "just say 'Hey, Massey. Remember me? Your twin brother'?"

      "Massey is the most popular person in school?" I asked. "Even though she's only a sophomore?"

       "Yup," Tyler said. "She got Dad's charisma."

       Someone suddenly screeching and hugging me from behind made Tyler laugh. "Jer-bear!" Karen said happily. "What are you doing here?!"

       Her grip was becoming way too tight. "Right now, I'm trying to breathe."

       Karen released me. "Sorry. So, why are you here?"

       "Crying on the inside," I replied.

       "Mom can't homeschool him anymore so he has to attend high school," Tyler explained. "He thinks he's going to die."

       "Don't worry, bestie," Karen said, wrapping her arms around my shoulder. "I'll make sure nobody talks to you."

       The bell rang, making me gulp. Class was starting. Tyler left, wishing me good luck.

       "So what is your first class?" Karen asked me.

       "Art," I replied.

       Karen frowned. "So not with me....It's okay, I'll show you where it is!"

       Karen led me to the art room, but when we got there, I stopped by the front door. "Karen, I can't go in," I said.

       Karen grabbed my wrist, ignoring what I said and pulled me inside the class. Immediately, she went to the teacher who was behind the desk. She was elderly, but she looked very nice. "Mrs. Jeffrey," Karen said. "This is the new kid, Jeremy."

       "The one with the selective mutism?" Mrs. Jeffrey asked.

       "Yeah," Karen said. "He's my cousin and he's really nervous about his first day here."

       Mrs. Jeffrey looked at me with a smile. "Don't worry, Jeremy. There's nothing to be afraid of." I still couldn't talk. I was never able to, even if the people trying to talk to me were really friendly.