chapter 7

Brinley was tear riddled. Her body shaking in fear as she drove as fast as her leaded foot would push her rickety old Buick.

She was heading to the one place she could release some tension. A slight buzzing drew her attention away from her tears momentarily as she realized her phone was going off. Grabbing at the phone just as the caller hung up, she soon realized it had been going off a LOT.

Fifteen missed calls. Kane, Peter, Genna, and then the next was those three again and again.

She quickly dialed the last one over, Kane, holding her breath as she waited for an answer. Worry over coming her body.

As Kane picked up, Brinley quickly spoke. "Kane... is there something wrong?"

"Omg, Bri?! Where are you? I've been so worried."

"Why what's wrong!?" She replied urgently.

"You haven't felt it? Heard the fears or calls for help?" His voice was concerned.

"I don't know... I had this fear I needed to get to your house quickly," she shrugged knowing he could feel her questioning.

"We were attacked while you were gone. They killed two... they were looking for you, Bri... they would have demanded you mate... they wanted our territory."

She slammed on the breaks and skidded her car to a stop. "Who?"

"We believe it was the Derbe pack."

Brinley screamed and slammed her car into gear. She was going to kill him... even if it was with her own bare hands. Some how... Ted was going to die.

She growled, deep and menacingly, "I'll kill him."

"I'll get there as soon as I can."

The phone line went dead and Brinley stomped on the gas pedal. The old Buick just couldn't get Brinley to the Derbe cafe fast enough.

Brinley blew the car through stop signs, lights, and skidded around corners until finally she came to the run down shake that was Derbe's.

Her car jerked into park ask she smashed the shifter into park. As Brinley opened the door of her car, two massive guys stepped from inside. "Ms. Sindel, we've been waiting. Let's go inside and talk."

"I'm through with this shit hole. Get Ted out here!" She screamed as she stomped forward, "I'm going to kill him."

The two men chuckled as one raised a gun and the other looked past her and nodded his head. "I believe you do not have a choice."

Brinley turned around sharply to see another two guards walk up behind her.

She snorted.

"So lady like," a guard chuckled as he grasped her arm.

"Get off me," she yanked away but walked forward as directed. To hell with them, they were not going to touch her. They were not going to demand of her, an alpha.

Stepping inside customers sat eating their meals. Brinley knew very well she needed to stay in the open pubic area if she didn't want to risk anything.

"Brinley, here on your day off?" One of the waitresses questioned.

Brinley just shrugged. Of course the waitress would assume she was there to work. Humans were so naive.

"This way ma'am."

"I prefer to sit here." She pushed her way into a booth close enough to the door. The booth was dingy and old, but it served it's purpose. The restaurant had been a go to for people of ages for years and business was not slowing down any for the old and dinginess of the place.

The men grumbled but slid in beside her.

Soon, Brinley saw the reason for her captive-ness as Ted emerged with a book in hand.

"Brin. You missed me!"

"No... more like the two dead need to be revenged." Yes, they were in a cafe, but most were in their own world with headphones or books in their hands. She was not about to go subtle.

"A simple miscalculation, let us get together and we can have enough babies to make up for them. All it takes is a simple mark and your packs protection will be at my utmost priority." Ted shrugged, "you know how much I love your mouth on my..."

Brinley gagged and snorted, "you are so rancid."

"You know sweet mouth, I kind have had a thought about you... so I had my men watch you. And then when you went out to that house... I knew my hunch was right... I still though want to know why I haven't gotten to see you shift.. " Ted questioned as he reached forward and petted his hand down Brinley's cheek.

"Don't touch me!" She spit. The vial man was a scraggly beast. For a shifter he was out of shape. His beer belly appearance was something of nightmares then his balding head and gortesk features caused her to shy away. Nearly all of the Derbe Pack was this way. Men and women alike were mishapen for normal shifters. Out of shape, enlarged bodies, and doing things most shifters would never.

Like lightning Ted snatched her hair between his fingers and tugged her forward. "Let's go in the back." He pulled her to her feet and dragged her into the back room.

As Brinley smashed into the solid cold surface of Ted's office floor, a crash from the front room diverted Ted's attention long enough to allow Brinley to struggle to her feet.

"What is it now?" Ted hissed as he stumbled his way to the front.

He was about to push open the swing door when it came flying forward and smashed him in the face instead. "Damn it!" He cried out reaching up to clutch his now bleeding nose.

"What the hell?!" A guard snapped while rushing toward the front. One guard left and the next guard twitched eager to go as well. Even if Ted was a shit alpha, they still felt the need to protect their pack.

"Better go help your alpha," she urged.

"You better not move..." he gruffed, then with dimwitted quick thinking he whipped out a set of hand cuffs and snapped them around Brinley's wrists. "Were proof," he chuckled then ran off.