Chapter 35: Gabriel

February 11th

Abe celebrated the holidays with us, but for whatever reason after the new year he changed a little. We still hung out, but he was just getting so popular. He decided to join the basketball team and was hanging out with people I didn't really hang out with that much. The last time I went down on him was before Thanksgiving. We still hung out, but it just wasn't the same. We didn't fight, and he didn't tell me about his dating life or anything, which was fine. Ignorance was bliss.

In the meantime, I ended up hooking up with Mark a few times. I didn't like him because he was a dick, but we fooled around sometimes. We didn't have sex because I wasn't about to do that with him, we just gave head to each other. 

I didn't think so much could happen in just a few days.

Friday, during school, I was talking to LeTara from theater during English class. It was then that I learned something about Abe. Two things really.

Abe and I had the same birthday. At first, I wasn't mad he didn't tell me his birthday. I figured it just never came up, or maybe he was going to surprise me. I gave him a million excuses. But then, she asked me, "Is he going to have alcohol at his party?"

"Party?" I had asked back.

"Yeah, his...birthday party," she said.

I was dumb, so I thought he was going to surprise me. At the end of school, I met up with him at his locker like I normally did. I slinked up to him, smiling, playing dumb and coy.

"So, do you want to hang out tonight?" I had asked him.

"Sure," he said. "I can meet up a little later."

"Cool. And then tomorrow I was going to have a few people over for my birthday."

"Yeah? What time?"

"I was thinking later in the evening, since I was going to celebrate with my family during the day."

"I can be there during the day," he said. "But I have plans later at night tomorrow. I know it's your birthday, but I promise I can spend all night with you tonight and tomorrow before my plans."

"Well...what are your plans?" I asked, my smile gone. 

"I just have to meet up with someone, it's nothing important but...well it's about um...it's about a scholarship or something."

"On a Saturday?"

"Yeah. Look, don't worry about it. I can come to your house after, maybe. I'll be driving so if you want me to come over I can at...midnight? I can do that."

"Well...can't I come over to your house?"

He chuckled, closing his locker. "You said you were having people over."

"They're not staying the night."

"No, I'll just come over to your place."

I stared at him. What was going on? "So you're not throwing me a surprise party?" I asked.

"What?" he asked, laughing. 

"Tomorrow. I can't come over to your house. You're not throwing me a surprise party, for my birthday?" 

"No...I'm sorry Gabe, I'm just busy."

I stared at him in disbelief. "Are you kidding me?" 

"What? What's wrong?"

"You're not trying to surprise me, you're just trying to lie to me. You're not throwing me a party, you're just not inviting me to yours."

He chuckled nervously. "What are you talking about?" he asked.