Chapter Seventeen

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." – Philippians 4:6-7

"So how did dinner with Cole go last night?" Maya asked as she pulled a rashguard over her bikini top. It was bright and early on Sunday morning. Cole and Alana had met up with the gang late last night after their dinner at Ruby's.

Alana smiled. "It was good, actually." She grabbed her vest and yanked it over her head.

"What, no teasing? No attitude? That doesn't sound like Cole."

"I know. It was a little weird, to say the least, but in a good way." A very good way, Alana thought. Her heart beat a little faster.

"Why? How did he act?"

Alana fumbled for the right words. "Well, he was acting different, I guess, but in an honest way."

"Honest? Are you sure this is Cole we're talking about?" Maya grinned.

Alana ignored her. "In so many words, he said he was sorry for acting like a jerk. So I forgave him."

Maya's jaw dropped open. "That's it?"

"Yeah. I'll admit he caught me off guard, but I'm glad he's coming around. I've been praying for him ever since this surf trip started."

"How in the world did you get him to apologize?"

Alana shrugged. "It wasn't me."

"That's so uncharacteristic of him."

"Tell me about it." Alana smiled at the memory. "He was such a gentleman, though. I don't think I've ever seen him go a single night without smirking or making fun of someone."

"Well, it's a start. Let's see if it lasts for the rest of the trip." Maya tossed her tube of sunblock at Alana. "Meet you outside."

Once Alana was done covering every inch of exposed skin in sunblock, she stuck the tube in Maya's backpack and headed out of the camper. She tried to stifle a massive yawn as she joined the rest of the gang in the parking lot. They were busy unstrapping their surfboards and waxing up.

Her eyes met Cole's as she slid her shortboard out of its bag. He nodded at her, a half-smile on his lips, and she couldn't help but smile back. Maya's words had really affected her. What was the cause of Cole's apology? He couldn't have apologized because his conscience finally got the best of him—or could he? It certainly didn't sound like the Cole Alana knew.

Not that Alana was complaining. She squatted down and began waxing the center of her shortboard, the spot where she always planted her front foot. On the tail of her board was a neon pink pad to match the pink fins on the bottom.

As she dragged the stick of wax back and forth, creating a bumpy texture to keep her feet from slipping off, she immersed herself in her thoughts. She was so lost in the memory of last night that she didn't hear Koa come up behind her.

Koa's fingers trembled as he helped the guys unstrap their surfboards.

"You okay, man?" Blaine asked, noticing Koa's distraught face and shaking hands.