Chapter Ten

"Anxiety in a man's heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad." – Proverbs 12:25

Cole trudged out of the water at County Line Beach with his shortboard tucked under one arm. He paused at the water's edge and shook some droplets from his hair before jogging across the sand to the parking lot. Blaine and Jake were seated in lawn chairs next to the campervan, lazily tossing a football back and forth.

"'Sup," Blaine greeted his twin. "All surfed out?"

"Nah. Just tired, I guess." Cole leaned his board up against the side of Maya's camper. After taking off his wetsuit, he plopped down in a lawn chair next to Blaine.

Blaine tossed the football to Jake and said, "Hey, I think your girlfriend's coming in."

"Dude, she's not my girlfriend," Jake countered. "I don't know why you guys keep saying that."

"Because it's obvious," Blaine chuckled. "You two are bound to get together sooner or later, trust me."

"You're wrong," Jake said, but his flushed cheeks gave him away. "There's nothing going on between Maya and I."

Though Blaine didn't press the issue, he smiled slyly. Jake rolled his eyes and stood up, heading to the shoreline where Maya, Koa, and Alana were getting out of the water.

"And then there were two." Blaine gave his brother a light shove. "So what's up with you?"

"What do you mean?"

"Come on, don't play this game with me."

Cole narrowed his eyes. At times, Blaine could be just as persistent as Cole—only in a less threatening way, of course. He sighed—another wave crashed on the shore—and the smooth roar of the tide could have lulled Cole to sleep, if he didn't feel so on edge.

"You're making this way harder than it should be," Blaine said. "I don't know why you hate this surf trip, but you need to relax and let loose. Have fun. So maybe County Line doesn't have the best waves, but—"

"It's not about County Line," Cole muttered irritably, and immediately wished he had kept his mouth shut.

Blaine's smile grew wider. "I knew it!"

"Just leave me alone. I don't want to hear this crap."

Before Cole could stand up and leave, his twin quickly grabbed his arm. "Cole, I'm sorry—but this isn't just 'crap.' You of all people should know that."

Cole gave him an annoyed look. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Sure you do. We're talking about Alana, aren't we?"

It took all of Cole's self-control not to lunge at him. "I don't know what you mean," he repeated.

"But it's true, isn't it?" Blaine was grinning from ear to ear now. "You like her. It's totally obvious."

"It is?" Cole asked weakly, sinking lower in his seat. Suddenly realizing what he had just confessed, he hastily added, "Not that I like her or anything."

Blaine raised an eyebrow.

"Look, can we just drop it?"

Blaine opened his mouth, about to say something, but quickly closed it. His gaze bored into his brother's for a few seconds before he finally said, "Okay."