Chapter Fourteen

"Would not God discover this? For He knows the secrets of the heart." – Psalm 44:21

Alana emerged from Cole's Volkswagen yawning. She stretched her limbs and blinked up at the vibrant blue skies overhead. "So this is Venice," she murmured, sweeping her gaze over her surroundings. The city had an expectant feel to it, as if everyone was preparing for the hordes of tourists to come swarming in later that day.

Just then, she heard two voices talking excitedly. She stepped around to the front of the van and saw the twins, their heads bowed together. They were conversing in hushed voices, so she tried to back away quietly, sensing that they didn't want anyone to overhear them.

Too late. Blaine jerked his head up when he heard Alana's feet shuffle on the pavement. "Alana?" There was a worried tone to his voice. "Oh, hey, good morning!"

She glanced from Blaine to Cole. They both had the same anxious look mirroring their faces. "Um...hi," she said uncertainly. "Sorry if I interrupted something. I was just getting some fresh air."

"No problem," Blaine said quickly. "Cole and I were only talking. We're thinking of going for a morning surf before walking the shops at Muscle Beach."

Cole gave his brother an indecipherable look. Despite what Blaine said, Alana knew she had interrupted something important. "Oh, yeah, that sounds cool." She gave them a halfhearted smile. "I'll go tell the others."

She quickly turned and headed back inside the van. Koa was dozing in the backseat, so she lightly shook his shoulders until he woke up. "We're here," she said softly. "We're in Venice. The twins want to go for a morning surf."

"Sure," Koa said gruffly, his voice thick with sleep. "Now?"

"Most likely. I'm gonna go see what the lovebirds are up to."

At the mention of Jake and Maya, Koa's face automatically lit up. He cracked a smile. "Alright."

It took about half an hour for everyone to rub the sleep out of their eyes and get going. By the time the gang had scarfed down a meager breakfast and pulled on their wetsuits, the sun was blazing overhead. Alana could tell it was going to be in the mid-nineties later. For only eight in the morning, the cool water already sounded inviting.

The gang snaked down the sidewalk to Ocean Front Walk. Though they could see a few whitewater lines off in the distance, a huge stretch of sand lay before them.

"Yikes!" Jake exclaimed. "Look at all that sand!"

"I'm looking at the skatepark," Blaine said, gazing off to the right. "I should have brought my skateboard."

            It took them nearly ten minutes to make the long trek across the sand

It took them nearly ten minutes to make the long trek across the sand. The soles of their feet were burning by the time they finally reached the water. Alana glanced behind her and saw that the beach stretched as far as the eye could see. There was nothing but blue-green water, a wide expanse of sand, and inland buildings for miles and miles.