He let out a deep breath that whistled through his teeth. "So...I guess I owe you an apology. Or two."

Alana raised her eyebrows. "Wow."

"I know, it's not what you were expecting..."

"Not at all." She smiled. "But please, go on."

Cole took a deep breath. "Look, Alana...I know I haven't been the most happy person lately. I know that you and the gang have been a little worried, and I'm sorry for not being willing to open up about it."

"Oh, Cole, that's all in the past—"

"But it isn't," he interrupted. "I still owe you an apology. You've always cared for people without anything in return. I like that soft side of you."

Warning bells immediately went off in his head. That was too sentimental—way too sentimental!

Cole ducked behind his menu, hoping Alana didn't think he was a complete freak. There went the smooth apology he was aiming for. "Uh, what I meant to say was, I think it's time someone repaid you for your kindness. You know, actually thanked you for it."

"Um, you're welcome?"

"No, I mean it." He looked her directly in the eyes. "Alana, I'm sorry for acting like a complete jerk to you and the rest of the gang. I hope you'll forgive me so we can finish this surfing safari with both of us in better spirits." He dropped his menu and stuck out a hand. "Friends?"

Alana stared at Cole's outstretched hand, a smile forming on her lips. "Cole, you know we've always been friends," she said. "But yes, I forgive you." She laughed as they shook hands dutifully.

"Good," Cole said. Once they let go, a shiver of delight racing up his arm, he leaned back and let out an anxious breath. At least that was over with.

It was much easier to relax, put on a nice smile, and have an entertaining conversation now that things were patched up between them. Cole felt like a weight had been taken off his shoulders. The Plan was going smoothly so far.

After the waiter delivered their drinks, Alana and Cole ordered their meals. Cole didn't even know he was so faint from hunger until the waiter slid a delicious bacon cheeseburger under his nose. Cole ate the whole thing in under three minutes and ordered another one.

"Do you always eat like this?" Alana asked, her own hamburger only a quarter of the way finished.

"Maybe." Cole wiggled his eyebrows and began digging into his fries. A meal had never tasted so darn good.

After eating their fill at Ruby's, they headed out of the restaurant full and content. On their way out the door, a bright red gumball machine grabbed Alana's attention, and she scurried over.

"You know, if you get a red gumball you can exchange it for a root beer float," Cole told her.

"Really? How do you know?"

He smiled. "I have my ways."

"I'm gonna try it." Alana fished around in her wallet for a quarter, but Cole grabbed her wrist to stop her.

"Here. Let me pay." He handed her one of his quarters with a smile. It was the least he could do, since Alana wouldn't let him pay for both their meals earlier. Though he had insisted, she wouldn't hear of it. He hoped a quarter would suffice.

"Thanks." Alana grinned and stuck the quarter in the machine. She turned the knob and watched as a yellow gumball rolled down the rack and into her palm. "Bummer. Here, you can have it if you want."

"No, it's fine." Cole handed her another quarter instead. "Try again."

"If you say so." Alana repeated the motions, and she nearly jumped for joy when a red gumball rolled down the rack. "Yes!" She cupped the gumball in her hand and shot Cole a grin.

"Are you getting a root beer float?" he asked.

"Of course I am!" Alana rushed over to one of the waiters and showed him the gumball. He told her to wait a few moments, and soon she was happily sipping on her treat.

Cole and Alana strolled out of Ruby's into the crisp night air. The sun was slowly setting behind them as they walked down Huntington Pier, staying close to one other to keep warm. Alana kept switching her drink from hand to hand so they wouldn't get too cold.

"Want some?" she asked, holding out her root beer float to Cole.

"Oh, no, it's fine. I'm good."

"I see that look in your eyes." Alana smiled mischievously. "Come on."

Cole shook his head.

"Either that or I'm throwing it away." She held the drink over a nearby trashcan. "I'm stuffed. Do you want it or not?"

"Well, if you insist..." Cole snatched the drink from her hand and took a long sip.

"Thanks for tonight," Alana yawned, surprising Cole by leaning her head against his shoulder. Though she was tall for her age, Cole was still a good inch taller. He wondered if now would be an appropriate time to drape his arm around her waist.

"No problem," he said casually. "I'm glad to have gotten that off my chest."

"Cole, I will always forgive you. That's what friends are for."

"Thanks." He decided not to do the arm-thing, and instead just relished in the feeling of her head in the crook of his shoulder. He smiled and took another sip of her root beer float. Tonight had gone well.