"Oh, cool. Is she...?" Jake smiled hopefully.

"Coming to church tonight?" Maya shook her head sadly. "Probably not. She's on the phone with my dad right now."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"It's okay."

"Are you used to them fighting all the time?"

"I don't think I'll ever get used to it. But they don't really fight; it's more like they—and I quote—debate." She rolled her eyes. "With really loud voices."

Jake laughed and squeezed her hand. "Do you need a ride tonight?"

"I got it. But thanks." Maya glanced down at their intertwined hands. "Save me a seat, though, okay?"

"Will do." Jake winked and turned back to the milk. "See you tonight, Maya."

"See ya." She reluctantly let go of his hand and headed to her shopping cart. Ten minutes later, she left the store in much better spirits than when she had entered. Though her mother wasn't going to church, she could at least look forward to Jake and the rest of the gang being there.

Cole slumped down in his seat and folded his arms stubbornly across his chest. The darkening sky was tinged with bold colors of the sunset, but it did nothing to lighten his spirits.

Blaine sighed from where he sat next to his brother. He pulled the keys out of the ignition and stuffed them in his back pocket. "Are you gonna sit there and sulk all evening, or are you going to join me?" he asked tiredly.

"Just give me a minute," Cole said, locking his jaw and continuing to stare straight ahead.

"Whatever." Blaine rolled his eyes and slid out of the car, letting the door slam closed behind him. Cole could see the annoyance written on Blaine's face as he began pacing in front of the car, his gaze fixed on the double doors that marked the entrance to the church. Sunday was church day in the Anderson family, so if the twins' dad was too busy with his work—like he was tonight—that meant Blaine and Cole were responsible for attending the nightly service by themselves.

The twins had been raised as Christians since the moment they were born, but church had always been boring in Cole's opinion. Blaine, on the other hand, had always looked forward to the service, complete with worship, prayer, and a message from Pastor Browne. He always found the willpower to stay focused throughout the entire church service, whereas Cole been caught snoozing one too many times in the pew.

From the other side of the windshield, Blaine shot his twin a glare and tapped his wristwatch impatiently. Cole sighed and shoved open the door, making sure to grab his Bible on the way out. He slammed the door behind him and meandered towards the entrance, never once making eye contact with Blaine.

As soon as they stepped across the threshold and into the brightly lit sanctuary, a gust of cool AC hit them smack in the face, followed by a loud chorus of How Great is Our God by the church choir. Cole grumbled to myself as he slid into a near-empty pew near the back of the room. Blaine plopped down next to him, clearly upset by his brother's behavior.

From a few rows up, the twins saw Koa sitting with his family, and across the aisle Jake was busy trying to quiet his younger siblings.

Cole's gaze flickered back to the stage, where the choir was wrapping up their song and Pastor Browne was climbing the stairs to his podium. Cole noticed Alana sitting with her younger sister just a few rows from the front. Her white-blonde hair was unmistakable as it caught a flicker of light and shimmered like a spray of jewels.