Chapter 28 - Casualty

"It still feels wrong being out here without an E.V.A. suit," said Aron.

They had spent the last hour repairing the four-seater buggy and replacing any broken components. Aron had been the first one to attempt being outside the Arcadian with an open visor. Santiago's tests had been brief but he was confident that there were not going to be any unfortunate side-effects. With Margaux and Aron working in just their overalls, they had been able to complete the work in a fraction of the time.

"It sure beats heaving a space suit around," Margaux laughed from beneath the buggy.

"Those E.V.A. gloves are the worst thing. They make working on any small components almost impossible. How's that data node going?"

"It will be online in about thirty seconds. Assuming the diagnostics check out, we should be good," she replied.

"We've replaced the headlamp fittings, patched the holes in the bodywork, replaced the data node and a few cables, checked and recharged the main cell; that should be everything."

"We even taped up the holes in the front seats," she added, sliding herself out from beneath the buggy.

"Diagnostics are running. This vehicle should be ready to roll," he chuckled, patting the curved front of the buggy.

"When's it being used next?"

"Megan wants to head out immediately. The diagnostics check out. I think a quick test drive then I'll let Megan know.

* * *

With Ekono driving, Megan sat beside him and Aron and Bettino in the back seats, the buggy set off towards the airlock. All four crewmembers were wearing their E.V.A. suits but this time with the visors raised so they could breathe the air in the hangar.

Ekono drove the buggy at full speed across the expansive, black hangar and set a new record for reaching the airlock. Aron hopped gingerly off the buggy and set the airlock opening then they all closed their visors Ekono drove the buggy gently through the gelfall. Moments later the buggy was back up to speed, racing along the corridor to the left.

They passed the door to the room with the vast library of crystals and, shortly later, the much smaller replicator room. A short distance further on, Ekono suddenly applied the brakes, rapidly slowing the buggy to a halt. He had turned off the headlamps before the buggy stopped moving.

"I can see lights up ahead," Ekono reported quietly even though whispering was unnecessary with their visors closed and radios switched on.

"Looks like three creatures," Megan replied.

"I concur," said Ekono.

He removed his sidearm from its holster and slid off the buggy. "Stay here, Commander. Bettino and I will deal with this."

"We all came here to do the same job," replied Megan, "Four against three is safer than two against three."

"Bettino and I are both trained, and we've got armour-piercing rounds."

"Don't forget, I've got those rounds too," said Megan.

"Okay, Commander, but Aron hasn't so he should stay and protect the buggy. Bettino and I will lead."

"Fair enough," Megan replied.

By this time Ekono was a few metres ahead of the buggy, weapon raised, ready to go. Bettino dropped off the back of the buggy and hurriedly checked his weapon as he caught up with his superior.

"Aron, stay here," Megan ordered as she climbed off the buggy too.

"Will do," he replied, having already pulled his taser rifle off his shoulder.