82 | Cold Winter

<Nakaru>
Before we knew it, the winter season had greeted us rather quickly. Or we just never noticed how much time had already passed over the course of four months.

Momma and Papa, and the other parents, none of us kids really see them at often. Not to say that they entirely abandoned us. They're there at breakfast, gone from 11am until 11:30pm at the latest. Sometimes even longer.

But there are good benefits I guess. All of us have been staying at Haruki, Daichi, and Nozomi's place. Saved them the trouble of leaving their kids at home, especially when their house is bigger.
On most occasions, the Tomohito twins would visit us with treats, and last time we all helped with the Christmas tree. From tinsels to ornaments, to the star at the top, this will be a cold winter for us kids.

"Hey Naki. Here's your lunch." Haruki handed me my bento and I hesitantly took it.

"What's wrong? You don't want it?" He took off his apron and placed it on the counter, where there was bentos for everyone else.

"That's not it." I stared at the bento.

"Then what is it?" He raised a brow, with a light tease.

"You know, the girls at school are spreading rumors. Both Daichi and ours looks the same, of course there's things going around." I confessed embarrassingly.

As I let out a light sigh, both Mari and Nozomi came into the kitchen. Nozomi reached for two and handed one to Mari.

"Good morning." Haruki greeted.

"Good morning." The girls said in a unison.

"Morning." I said to them as well.

"Good morning big brother." She smiled and hugged my legs, as she was growing gradually up to my hips.

"Do you guys need us to pick you guys up after school?" Haruki knelt down to the both of them, with his shimmering pearly whites.
Almost blinding really.

"No." Nozomi shook her head, "we'll be fine."

If there was one thing that has changed, it would be Nozomi's reserved and quite personality, in contrast to how she used to be more playful. The fact that Mari has started relying on her as well, as she is 3 years older.

"Isn't it dangerous to walk back by yourselves?" I questioned, kneeling down to Mari as I wiped the leftover toothpaste on her cheek.

"If Nozomi saids it's fine, we'll be okay." Mari smiled and held Nozomi's hand.

Honestly I feel as if the relationship between Mari and I are slowly breaking apart. Not intentionally. But I guess I can't bring myself to acknowledge the fact that she doesn't always need a big brother with her all the time. I'm glad that Mari is able to rely on others.

"Hmm? Naki? Are you okay?" Mari poked my arm.

"Yeah, I'm alright. You guys get going now." I pat both their heads and they giggled amongst each other. Then they left.

"It's time for us to take our leave too. Is Daichi awake?" Haruki washed his hands and walked over to the door.

"Yeah, the last time I checked, he was trying to finish up his assignments." I sighed.

"He's a slacker. He's become more lax then usual, ever since Mom rarely comes home. Plus Dad is off at seas again. Watch him for me okay?" Haruki slipped on his shoes and opened the door. "See you later then."

"Yeah, later." I waved goodbye and off he went.

Before I left, I called for Daichi once more and he burst out of his bedroom with his bag opened and papers in his hands. Why was he sweating so intensely?

"I-I finished!" He said with pride and laughed.

"Hurry up already." I chuckled along, handing him his bento.

While we put on my shoes, I've been noticing that they've been becoming rather snug.

"Yo, what's that face for?" Daichi slapped my back.

"O-ow..." I felt the hard force against my back and slouched over, "I think I need new shoes." I said.

"Huh? Yeah. We are growing guys after all. After school, let's head to the department stores." Daichi said as he stood up. "I think I need to get a new pair too."

I looked over at his and saw how dirty they've become, the worn out laces, and the muddy bottoms. He just doesn't properly take care of them.

"I guess we are growing aren't we?-"

Chills ran down my spine. The hard truth that I forgot to realize, and I don't like to be reminded of this. It's frightening just thinking about it. How much older we are becoming and the life ahead of us is drawing near. Soon enough, we'll be looking back and wondering where has the time gone?
•••••
<Sugino>
"Hey honey, can you grab me the blue blanket on the couch? The little ones want to build a fort." Kaede called from the other room.

"I got it." I grabbed the blanket that was on the couch and felt the soft cotton around my fingers. Looking over at the mini coffee table in my view, I laid my eyes upon one of the cracked legs.

I held the blanket to my side and remembered the incident where both Nagisa and Karma came over to our place years ago. A while back, Nagisa and Karma, plus their son came to our home, bringing up the past again. And that was when Karma had appeared.

It happened to be the same topic, in which Nagisa alone, had discussed with us when she was a single mother with Nakaru. And that time, with Nagisa alone, I was too conceited to notice and acknowledge it. But when Karma decided to be here in person that time, and explain his story. I couldn't help but to get mad at him.

You can imagine what had happened with the coffee table.

That time, Namari wasn't born yet, so it was just those three. But why did it matter to them, if they had to re-explain everything? Was it because when Nagisa was with Nakaru, it was one sided?
I remember when Kaede broke down in tears, and couldn't let go of Nagisa. For me, I think I hated Karma a little less than I did, when he decided to speak for himself.

And just a few months ago, Nagisa asked for our help, along with Karma who bowed his head, the lowest I've ever seen him do. We couldn't say no. Initially, this project they were doing meant that they had to be away from their kids for awhile.

Nagisa apologized over and over, for everything. But everything that happened, brought us to this day. Both Kaede and I couldn't care less and we wanted to help them.

"And honey?" Kaede shouted back.

"Yes?" I answered, struck back to reality.

"Go pick up the kids at Shizuka's place. We'll be having dinner here tonight." Kaede said.

"I'll start the car now." I responded and took the blanket into the other room, as the little ones where having fun with their fort.

"And last thing." Kaede shouted from the other room. I laughed at the fact that she could of just pieced everything together.

"What is it dear?" I took the keys into my hand.

"I love you!" She exclaimed.

I took a step back from that sudden blow. Oh wowx who would of thought that I'm still not used to this. I happily grinned and shouted back,

"I love you too!"