"Hello?" I muttered in an exhausted voice.

"Hello? May I speak with Aubrey, please?" a woman's voice responded. I was suddenly taken by surprise, the voice sounded extremely familiar, but I couldn't put my tongue onto who it might actually be.

"This is her," I answered, a little bit clearer this time.

Before I had a chance to breath, she immediately beams.

"Aubrey! This is Mrs. Winthrop, how are you?"

At that point, I was silent. Mrs. Winthrop?

A light bulb suddenly popped on my head as I remember the little talk I had with Aiden and her after using the bathroom. She was the older lady with the beautiful red dress.

A smile unconsciously appeared across my lips as I answered, "I'm good, how are you?"

"I'm doing great! Honey, I have a big favor I'd like to ask you," she says, almost in the most friendliest, delicate voice I've ever heard.

"Oh yeah?" I slightly laughed, "What is it?"

"Remember that dress you were wearing?" I can sense her smiling through the phone, "Darling, is there any way for me to get a hold of that dress?"

I suddenly sat up straight, "You can have it!"

I heard her gasping from the other side of the phone, "Dear, god no! It's an all original Elie Saab haute couture!"

Okay?

"It would be a crime for you to just give it to me for free," she concludes.

I pressed my lips together in a thin line, "Are you sure?"

"Of course, there's no way I'm getting that dress for free," she simply responded, "How about thirty grand, is that fine with you?"

I could feel my heart sink to my stomach. There was nothing else on my mind other than the price of the amount of debt my family owns. My heart started to skip multiple beats, my breathing started to step up in a faster pace.

"Hello? Sweetie?" I heard her calling out for me.

"Yeah," I stuttered, swallowing nervously as I rubbed my palm against my thighs.

"Is thirty grand alright for you?" she repeated the offer.

I immediately nodded as if she could see me, "Yes!" I responded almost screaming from happiness.

I heard her laughing on the other side of the line before replying with, "Alright, I'll come to pick it up tomorrow. Thank you, sweetheart."

"No, thank you!" I grinned widely, biting my bottom lip.

We exchanged goodbyes before I hung up first, bouncing on my bed happily. It was almost to the point where I wanted to cry in happiness.

I caught a shortage of breath, until I pulled out my phone again. Without hesitation, I tapped on the messaging icon of Landon's contacts.

6:32 PM

Aubrey

Where are you?

- - -

Landon looks up at his best friend, fiddling with his own finger on his lap while the two exchanged nothing but a sad aura. They both had ordered milkshakes, but none of them bothering to take a sip from the melting desert.

Isaiah had on his black athletic jacket, that covered up his whole neck and chin, revealing his lips popping out from the neck of the jacket. He has a baseball cap that was covering his eyes from his best friend, and a duffel bag that was casually resting on the side of him on the boost.

Across from him was Landon, dressed in a black leather jacket, a white v-neck shirt and his regular gold chain. His eyes lingered across the table, following the plain red surface.

Finally, Isaiah sat up.

"You and Aubrey," he choked up, clearing his throat after his stumble of words.

Landon leans back, staring blankly at the table.

"I saw you guys in the parking lot the other day," Isaiah mumbles, looking downwards as the baseball cap covers his face.

Landon closes him eyes softly, furrowing his eyebrows before reopening them. The last thing he wanted to do was emotionally hurt his best friend. He had physically hurt Isaiah many times, but never once did he tug the string on Isaiah's heart.

"So we both feel the same way," Isaiah concludes, letting out a disappointed chuckle.

"Look, Isaiah—"

"Dude," he interrupts, holding his hand out as he finally looks up at Landon, "Seriously, just stop it."

Although Landon was surprised by Isaiah's sudden rage, he maintained his patience and sat still. 

"Stop coming up with excuses about why you can't be with her," Isaiah tilts his head back, staring up at the ceiling before returning his gaze towards his best friend.

"What do you mean?" Landon asks.

"I know you like her, Landon." He says, pressing his fingertips against his opposite hand, shaking it boldly as he tries to make his point.

Landon stayed quiet.

"You're heads over heels for her," his voice rises. Isaiah always has one of the most intimidating voice when it comes to arguments. His deep voice puts the opposing person in nothing but a trap.

However, Landon tries to refuse and shakes his head. Deep down he had a special place for Aubrey, but he couldn't work up the courage to take the girl that his best friend has dwelled over since the first day.

"Admit it Landon," Isaiah pauses, "You like her."

He still didn't respond. There was nothing that was able to force Landon to confess.

"You like her too," he responded.

"Yes, I do," he stubbornly stated, "I like her. I admit that I would do anything for that girl's heart."

Silence suddenly grew across them. There was no awkward tension, just plain sadness that swept across both of their emotions.

It was quiet for about a minute, until Isaiah finally looks back up at Landon.

"But you love her a fuck ton more than I do," he whispers, tears almost forming in his eyes as he hands over the girl that he longed for over to his best friend.

The two boys were holding back the angry and sad tears that they forced inside of their bodies. They didn't want to show any sign of weaknesses; crying over a girl seems to be one of the most immature thing to do.

"I don't, Isaiah," Landon mumbles, voice shaking. His hands were trembling on his lap, uncomfortably rubbing against his thighs.

"You do," Isaiah slightly chuckles, "Haven't seen you this motivated for anyone ever since your past. And this time, I've seen another side of you that I didn't get to see when you were dating your ex."

Landon shuts up, staring at both of their milkshakes. He did love her. He worked for her forgiveness. He worked for her trust. There wasn't a doubt in his heart, that he would ever just leave the girl that he possibly love even if it's for his best friend.

Landon finally sulks, "I'm sorry."

His best friend looks at him, both of them slightly frowning. However, there was a little weight off of both of their chests. Isaiah glances over at Landon one last time before nodding.

"Don't worry about it," he passes a small smile before grabbing his duffel bag. He swiftly slides out of the booth, and swung his duffel bag over his shoulder before turning his back to his best friend.

"We're cool," Isaiah managed to slip out, before making his way towards the exit.

- - - 

:c

how do you feel?

x apricitys