Chapter 16

The car ride was uncomfortably quiet, even with the radio softly playing in the background. I sat there playing with my fingers, looking out of the window pretending to forget that there's another person in the car. The neon lights from the buildings blended in with the navy-blue sky. All kinds of different people were walking along the sidewalks of the city: people in business suits, people with shopping bags, cameras, there were even people painting a beautiful mural on walls.

A smile appeared on my face as the view of the city suddenly turned into views of the ocean. The bright, full moon reflected off of the dark water, sending chill and relaxing vibes each time the waves moves against the sea.

"Do you like the ocean?" Landon spoke up from the silence.

I turned my attention towards him and nodded, answering with a soft yet cold "Yes."

He cleared his throat with his focus adjusting from the road and onto me, "I do too," he simply states. The silence starts to take over again, as I soon found myself guilty for staring at his face.

His soft brown hair was elegantly swept upwards, and a little to the side. Piercing blue eyes that kept his attention on the road in front of him; a defined jawline that effortlessly tenses each time he swallows; and a perfect side profile. His dress shirt was rolled up a little bit passed his elbow as he shows off his gold and silver Rolex watch.

He turns his head fully as he stops the car, catching me by surprise. I blinked multiple times before awkwardly turning my head back to the front, staring off into the night sky. My cheeks warmed up from embarrassment as I press my lips together.

I heard Landon release a soft chuckle before he unhooks his seatbelt, "We're here."

Almost immediately, I took off my seatbelt and opened the door; attempting to leave the awkward vibes in the car. I stood up and brushed down my dress, quickly closing the door behind me.

Landon's car clearly spoke out for his financial stableness. It was a black Dodge Charger, the newest 2017 edition. The car was kept squeaky clean, and the seats inside were replaced with red leather with a gold-plated license plate, front and back that reads out 'CARTHY' in bold black letters.

Feeling the cool air brush against my skin, I felt the goosebumps forming on my arms.

"Cold?" Landon asks me as he approaches towards my side of the car. I shook my head and played it cool.

"Have you been to La Folie before?" he asks as he rubs his right hand against the back of his neck. I sensed the uncomfortably small talk from him and couldn't help but to smile at his question.

"No," I responded. I looked towards the direction we were walking in. My eyes widened just by the look of the front entrance of the restaurant.

The building was modernly build, with big bold letters drilled onto the side of the building stating 'La Folie'. The restaurant was four stories tall, windows from ceiling to floor. I can already see the fancy dining tables through the tinted windows, as well as lights handing from the ceilings.

I hesitated to walk towards the building, turning towards Landon and grabbed his arm.

"Are you sure about this place?" I asked him, concerned about the over-the-top fanciness.

The edge of his lips curved upwards as he removes his arm from my grip, and softly putting his hand on my lower back, motioning me towards the building. A little spark flashed in my body when his warm hand brushes against my skin.

"I'm treating," he reassured as he opens the door for me.

I entered the restaurant feeling like I entered into another dimension. Couldn't help it, a smile crept upon my lips as Landon looked at me from the side. In the corner of my eyes I saw him smile along, as I was observing the beautiful laid out design of the place.