Chapter 37

Walker's POV:

Damian left shortly after he came in with Corbyn. Since we were with Myra so often we were temporarily excused from taking part in Olthen's training. Olthen probably considered Myra an excuse for him to not have to deal with us.

"Where's Damian going? I wanna stay with Damian!" Myra whined, pouting and staring at the door. Since Corbyn was next to her, he started calming her down.

"Don't worry, sis. Damian's gotta go train for a bit, okay? He'll be back later." He soothed, getting Myra to focus her attention on him. We've both been feeling terrible about the treatment she was given. We both agreed it's now our responsibility to make her feel better and keep her safe from Olthen.

"Training? Is Damian gonna get hurt?!" Myra's eyes widened with fear as she started to make a bolt for the door. "Damian! Damian!" Myra wailed. I caught her easily and held her back. If she left this room there was no chance she'd make it without being caught. Corbyn and I would be killed.

"Hey, take it easy, sis. It's okay. Everything's fine. Damian won't get hurt. I promise, right, Corbyn?" I made eye contact with him and he nodded quickly, knowing what I was thinking.

"Of course. Don't worry about anything, alright? We'll take care of you." Corbyn spoke calmly. I started to guide Myra back to my bed, where her book was lying. I made sure to keep my touch light and gentle so I wouldn't upset her anymore than she already was. It was a tactic Corbyn and I had learned over the past week or so.

"Until Badger comes?" Myra looked at Corbyn distractedly, stumbling over her own feet. I caught her again and held onto her arm until she sat down on the bed.

"Even after Badger comes, okay? We're your big brothers now, remember?" Corbyn kept talking until Myra was calm again. We watched her warily until she picked up her book. I sat down beside her on my bed, while Corbyn sat directly across from us on his bed. Suddenly Myra put the book back down and grabbed my chin with her hand, pulling me down till I was at her height.

"I like you guys without the paint. You look happier. Less scary." She mused, scrutinizing me closely. For a moment she seemed to have some sort of clarity, her brown eyes sharp and aware. Her grip quickly slackened and her eyes grew distant again. She wrapped herself up in a blanket and looked away from me. I couldn't talk for a moment, trying to figure out what had just happened, but I quickly made a recovery.

"Come on, Myra. I always look good. Corbyn on the other hand..." I looked over at him and fake grimaced. He scowled back at me while Myra laughed.

"I'm way better looking than Walker! He's crazy, Myra. I normally have girls all over me!" Corbyn protested, looking offended when Myra made gagging noises at him.

"Really, Corbyn? Who was all over you? Blair?" I teased. Blair is a daughter of Aphrodite and one of Olthen's loyal followers. She's absolutely cruel to Corbyn, but the idiot is completely smitten. She's stopped doing it lately, since Corbyn and I are always with Myra, but she used to just hand off all her chores to Corbyn. He did them better than he did his own, trying to impress her. He also tried his own way of stealing her heart, through pranks. Although, that never worked out well.

"You're an ass, Walker." Corbyn scoffed, crossing his arms.

"P-Please don't fight..." Myra started whining again. She hid herself in the blanket so that only her eyes were peeking out.

"We're just joking around, sis. It's safe. No fighting. Remember what I told you? Don't worry about anything." Corbyn assured her, smiling. Myra smiled back and shook the blanket off her head. She turned to look at me again. I watched her carefully for any sign of alertness, but whatever was happening had stopped, leaving her as defenseless as usual.