Chapter 16

Damian's POV:

I woke up to the sound of knocking. I rolled over and put my pillow over my head, trying to fall back to sleep. My door was opened, letting in unwanted light. I let out a groan and closed my eyes tighter. "Come on, Damian. You can't hide from me forever!" A voice teased. Shadow's voice. I cracked open my eyes a bit as she ran her fingers through my hair.

"Morning." I mumbled groggily. Shadow rolled her eyes.

"Not good enough! Get out of bed!" She started to poke at a sensitive spot on my side. I spazzed out and rolled straight onto the floor with a crash. Shadow burst into laughter while I glared at her. "You awake now, Damian?"

"Yeah, I get it. You win." I grumbled as Shadow helped me back onto my feet. We'd been dating for two months. Shadow was amazing without a doubt, but dating the daughter of the victory goddess had its drawbacks. For example, I will probably never win at anything ever again if Shadow isn't on my side. Also, she's made a point to find out everything she could about me, from ticklish spots on my side to knowing how to calm me down when I'm angry.

"Hurry up and get dressed! Maybe we can eat breakfast with each other today?" I felt guilty when I heard the hope in her voice. I sighed and scratched the back of my neck.

"I can't... Since Rose is sick, Olthen assigned me to take care of Myra. She gets treatment first thing in the morning." I explained, trying not to show my own disappointment. Shadow nodded her head, a sad smile on her lips.

"Like I said. You can't hide from me forever, okay?" Shadow lightly pecked me on the lips.

"Wouldn't dream of it." I replied as Shadow walked out the door. Olthen usually had us set up as training partners. Though technically we met when I was first brought in as a prisoner. She was helping Will take care of me, and that treatment makes people... loopy. I got a bit affectionate with her, but as soon as that wore off I kept my distance. Over the past year Shadow started slowly luring me in again. I didn't even notice until I started to get weak in the knees around her, and by that time it was way too late to try and fight it. I shook my head to clear it and got dressed, heading over to Will's lab to grab the treatment from him.

"Morning, Will." I rubbed at my eyes a bit, still feeling half asleep.

"Morning, Damian. Here for Myra's treatment?" Will looked up from where he was pouring a silvery liquid into a syringe.

"Yeah. Hopefully she'll be a bit more willing today." I muttered, thinking back to yesterday.

"Yeah how'd that go yesterday? After you showed her Rose?" Will asked, quickly scanning me with his eyes as if checking for injuries.

"She uhh... didn't kill me. She wanted me to stay with her, actually. I sent Corbyn and Walker to keep her company." I told him, expecting the horrified look he gave me.

"Oh gods, that's a horrible idea."

"I don't think she would've killed them, but I'm not sure to be honest." I shrugged.

"I'm not worried about them, Myra could easily be influenced by them. Especially with these treatments. Just... just watch your back." Will gave me a worried look. My eye widened with alarm. They could influence her and they knew it! What in Hades could they have put her up to while I was gone? They couldn't have done that much harm, right?

"Oh gods... I didn't even think of that. I figured they'd just tire her out with arguing..." I muttered more to myself than to Will.

"Well good luck to you." Will looked away, concentrating.

"Thanks, Will." I replied. I watched him carefully pour out the last drops into the syringe and examine it.

"Alright, here's the treatment." He handed it to me after a few moments. I took it, carefully handling the sharp needle.