Dancing With Angels Chapter 4

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry Cass, I should have told you sooner, but I was so afraid I would lose you." I stopped him from talking by placing my hand over his mouth; he looked to be on the verge of madness. There was fear and untold pain in his eyes, it hurt me to see him in such a state that I knew I couldn't hurt him for anything in the world. I knew there was only one true path to take now, I would stand by his side and protect him with everything I had so I would never have to see that look in his eyes again.

"You will never lose me Jase, never." I hugged him tightly, he reminded of the statue I had once thought he was, but slowly he returned my hug his body relaxing, softening.

Now as I stare at him in his hospital bed I find myself in a state of shock, even though a week has passed since he first fell to sleep. So many things had taken place while I remained at his side, alone with him, I came to understand far more than my heart could really bare. His father hadn't even stepped inside to see him, just came by and signed papers that authorized the doctors and nurses to keep him alive at any cost. Besides that he had added me to the list of people that were cleared to enter his room then he left without a backward glance.

The move had started the flow of memories as I tried to recall a single moment where Drake had actually acted like Jason's father. It took too little time to realize that the only things I knew about Drake had come from Jason it made me wonder if any of it had been real. Not that I thought Jason was lying to me, but to himself so he could believe that his father was proud of him and loved him. I started questioning every bruise I had ever seen on Jason, it made me shutter at the thoughts that were now storming through my mind.

"Ms. Kindred there's a young man out here that says he's needs to speak with you, that it's very important." I stood and walked out into the hall, I saw Mark standing several feet away he looked so sad and nervous.

"I'm sorry I couldn't come sooner, they just released me from custody and cleared me of any wrong doing at least for now." His eyes were red, I could tell he had been crying recently but he stood up straight and held my gaze.

"Can I see him?" Mark's voice broke as a woman came up behind him placing her hand on his shoulder in a supportive manner.

"I don't know if they'll let you Mark, you have to be on a list or the guard won't let you come in, even the doctors and nurses have to pass a check." He nodded as his shoulders slumped in defeat, though the tears were a surprise as they silently slid down his face.

"Who do we have to talk to get on the list?" The woman spoke calmly; her face was a mask of control except for the tears that hadn't fallen yet.

"Drake, Jason's father is the first person you would have to talk too, and then you might be able to get in if the police allow it." Mark walked past me toward Jason's room; the guard stood up from his chair instantly blocking the door that lead into the room.

"Mark, calm down baby, we'll go find his father and get him to add us to the list." A moment later Mark put his hand against the window to Jason's room, the blinds were pulled so no one could see inside. I was thankful for that at the moment; it was good that Mark couldn't see Jason for all the machines that were hooked up to him. Currently Jason was on full life support, he hadn't moved since it had all started a week ago, there was only slight brain activity.

"I'll give you his address, he's not here." I wrote the address down and handed it to who I assumed was Mark's mother; she took it and went to collect Mark.

"How bad is it? The news doesn't have much information; all they said was that he's comatose." Mark's mother stopped dead in her tracks, she looked to me as if begging me to lie to him to show some form of mercy.